Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 17/12/1979
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 36099 43365
- Coordinates236099, 543365
Pre 1848. Small former chapel, adjoined to former stable block. Chapel in slightly lower gabled jamb, adjoined at centre to W elevation of rectangular-plan stable block. Rubble. Red sandstone ashlar dressings; droved chamfered margins; crowsteps and skewputts.
Slightly graded grey slates. Red sandstone ridge. Roof extended below eaves line of stable block.
W ELEVATION: pointed-arched window, blinded with rubble. Ashlar cross advanced in gablehead. Birdcage bellcote at apex (no bell).
N RETURN: pointed-arched window; partly blinded with rubble, glazed at apex with Y-traceried glazing.
S RETURN: blank.
INTERIOR: remains of stable stall. Modern plasterboard ceiling.
Statement of Special Interest
Symson, writing in 1684, states that Myrton "hath an old Chapel" (quoted in SCRAPBOOK). On the OS Maps of 1906 and 1982, "Myretoun Chapel (in Ruins)" refers to an apparently roofless, small, freestanding building to the north east of the stable block. An
article in the SCRAPBOOK relates that there is "preserved behind the stables a small rectangular and roofless building of indeterminate date which tradition says was the castle chapel, now ultilized (if it ever was a chapel) as a convenient screen for a water tank"; several other articles refer to the chapel as a roofless ruin in the stable yard. Some rubble walls still remain to the north east of the stable yard, which are possibly the remains of the early chapel referred to above. According to the written evidence therefore, the gabled chapel now
evident as such jamb is not the original chapel; by the evidence of the fabric, it appears that the former has been added onto the stable block, probably before 1848, as the jamb is marked on the OS Map of 1848. See separate listings for Monreith; Monreith House; Ice House; Myrton Cottage (Monreith Estate Office); Myrton Castle; West Gateway.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). P H M'Kerlie
HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 234, 242, Vol II (1877) p 267. OS Map 1909, Wigtownshire, Sheet XXXSE (surveyed 1906). SCRAPBOOK (1936), relating to Mochrum parish, in possession of Minister. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 432. OS Map 1983, Sheet NX34SE (surveyed 1982). AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND (1987) Vol 2, p97.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.