This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 11/11/1994


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Mochrum

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 30828 53941
  • Coordinates230828, 553941


Post 1907. Cartshed. L-plan; single storey. Rubble, verging on cyclopean pattern. Flat-arched cart openings, with concrete lintels. Crowstepped gables: crowsteps built of small stones covered over with thin stone coping. Small grey slates.

N ELEVATION: gabled jamb advanced to right, forming L-plan; opening to gable; two openings to E return. Gabled bay, with opening, slightly advanced to N in re-entrant angle. 3 openings to left.

S ELEVATION: blank; gable advanced to left.

E ELEVATION: gabled and blank.

Statement of Special Interest

The cartshed is not marked on the OS Map of 1907. The cartshed was probably designed by Robert Weir Schultz as fabric and form follow that of the Old Place of Mochrum and the Electricity House nearby, attributed to him. Stewart and Paterson's work at House of Elrig echoes details here. See separate listings for Old Place of Mochrum: Bridge; Electricity House and Sawmill; Old Place of Mochrum, with Walled Garden and Sundial.



OS Map 1908, Wigtownshire, Sheet XX14 (surveyed 1907).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at