Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 11/11/1994
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 30754 53895
- Coordinates230754, 553895
Robert Weir Schultz, 1903 (dated). Electricity house and sawmill. L-plan electricity house, with rectangular-plan sawmill adjoined to E. Single storey. Rubble. Rubble lintels and projecting cills. Cream sandstone ashlar mullioned and transomed margins to square window
vents. Small-pane glazing. Crowstepped gables: crowsteps built of small stones covered over with thin stone coping. Slightly graded grey slates. Small leaded eyebrow ventilators.
S ELEVATION: door to right, with gable over; lozenge, inscribed "1903", in gablehead. 2 windows to left. Sawmill (see below) advanced to right.
W ELEVATION: gable advanced to right, with door to left and window to right; window to right to N return. 3 window vents to left.
N ELEVATION: gabled; door at centre, with flanking narrow windows; square ashlar panel in gablehead.
E ELEVATION: 3 window vents to right. Sawmill adjoined to gable to left.
INTERIOR: timber coombed ceilings. Original generating machinery.
SAWMILL: door to left to S gable. N gable open. Corrugated sheeting lean-to adjoined to E elevation. Adjoined to electricity house to W.
Statement of Special Interest
The Electricity House and Sawmill were powered by water from a small burn, controlled by means of a sluice to the west (see separate listing with Bridge). See separate listings for Old Place of Mochrum; Bridge; Cartshed (en suite); Old Place of Mochrum, with Walled Garden and Sundial.
OS map 1908, Wigtownshire, Sheet XX14 (surveyed 1907). G Stamp
ROBERT WEIR SCHULTZ: ARCHITECT: AND HIS WORK FOR THE MARQUESSES OF BUTE (1981) p52.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.