Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 17/12/1979
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 33879 43946
- Coordinates233879, 543946
1862; vestry/session-house by Richard Park, 1892. Rectangular-plan church. Vestry/session-house adjoined to S. Rubble. Dressed granite quoins and rybated margins. Projecting granite cills. Tall pointed-arched windows. Y-traceried small-pane clear glazing (windows boarded up, 1993). Red sandstone coped skews. Small grey slates; slightly graded to vestry. Red sandstone ridging.
N (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pointed-arched doorway at centre; 2-leaf panelled door and Y-traceried fanlight. Windows in outer bays. Pointed-arched openings, partly boarded and louvred at apex, in gablehead. Iron birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead, with small bell; pointed-arched openings and pyramidal roof.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3-bay. Regular fenestration.
S ELEVATION: gabled vestry adjoined to virtually full-width of elevation; door to left and window to right to W; window at centre to E; 2 small lean-to additions to left and centre to S; granite-dressed gablehead stack, with red sandstone cope, to S.
INTERIOR: not seen (1993).
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls. 2-leaf cast-iron fleur-de-lis gate to N.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Formerly listed as "Church of Scotland, Church Street". The Church was built as a Free Church. Following the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, it became known as Port William High United Free Church, before uniting with Port William Main Street United Free Church (now the Maxwell Hall) in 1903 to become Port William United Free Church. Following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, it became Church of Scotland under the name of Port William Church. Port William was united with Mochrum in 1951. The unusual iron bellcote is an interesting survival. Consent given for conversion to 3 dwellings (91/TP/1H31) not implemented October 1994.
Records in possession of Minister: Port William Free Church Deacons'
Court Minutes, 1889 - 1902; Port William United Free Church Minute Book, 1903-1912. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol V (1895) p 37. W Ewing ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND Vol II (1914) p 51. J A Lamb THE FASTI OF THE UNITED FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND 1900 - 1929 (1956) p 119. J A Lamb (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE
Vol IX (1961) p 165. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 433.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.