Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 11/11/1994
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 33937 43487
- Coordinates233937, 543487
Later 19th century. 2-storey bank and bank house. Squared and coursed whin masonry. Cream sandstone ashlar dressings: rybated margins; quoins, with margin draft; band course between floors; eaves course at lintel level and eaves cornice; base course. Recessed aprons
to all windows.
N (BANK HOUSE ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Corniced and pilastered
doorpiece at centre; modern panelled door, with deep plate glass fanlight. Regularly disposed fenestration; narrow window at centre at 1st floor; wider windows at ground floor.
E (BANK ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, with 2 bays to left recessed. Corniced and pilastered doorpiece in bay to outer right. Regularly disposed fenestration. Variety of glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing at ground floor; 6-pane glazing at 1st floor. Pebble-dashed wallhead stacks to E and W. Piended platform roof.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: low whin rubble walls, with red
sandstone saddleback coping; surmounted by cast-iron fleur-de-lis railings. Red sandstone ashlar conical-capped octagonal gatepiers, one surmounted by ashlar ball.
Statement of Special Interest
This building is not marked on the OS Map of 1848, but it is marked as "Bank" on the OS Map of 1894. It is quite probably by Peddie and Kinnear, or the later Kinnear and Peddie, who had a strong hold on bank design during these years.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). OS Map 1895,
Wigtownshire, Sheet XXX11 (surveyed 1894).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.