Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Last Date Amended: 17/12/1979
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGRNX 33855 43622
- Coordinates233855, 543622
Circa 1800; extended 1847. Harbour, consisting of inlet with small, sharply pointed apex. Substantial pier to S side of harbour.
QUAY: long and curved, on SE-NW axis; angled apex to SE. Coursed rubble masonry quay walls; cemented towards NW. Smaller rounded rubble masonry to angled apex to SE. Painted stone bollards.
GATEWAY: tall square gatepiers to S. Dressed granite, with pinning; red sandstone ashlar capping.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls to E and S. Various buildings, of post 1848 date. Painted rubble; mainly with corrugated roofing. Single storey piended store adjoined to boundary wall to SW; single storey gabled office, possibly early 19th century, further adjoined to N. Gabled store, with purple slate roof. Large 2-storey store to W, with double piended roof.
Statement of Special Interest
According to Graham, a plan of 1845 by C G Robinson marks a "proposed
extension of the pier", and the Parliamentary Report of 1847 still refers to 'proposals' to extend the jetty. The OS Map of 1848 shows that "an extension had been built which is generally comparable with the one shown by Robinson". Landscapping of the harbour area subsequent to the drafting of the above description has required the category to be lowered to C(S): a revised description incorporating the changes will be drafted. The historic interest of the structures retains them above the margin for listing.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). J Butt THE
INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1967) p 318. I Donnachie THE
INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF GALLOWAY (1971) p 239. J R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1976) p 268. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 435. A Graham "Some Old Harbours in Wigtownshire" TRANSACTIONS OF THE DUMFRIESSHIRE AND GALLOWAY
NATURAL HISTORY AND ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY 1979, pp 61-63.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.