Alexander Ross, 1875-79. Gothic. Tall cruciform church
orientated E-W, with clerestory and narrow buttressed side
aisles. Pink tooled granite, contrasting tooled ashlar
ashlar dressings. Slightly lower chancel with transepts
at E; gabled porch at SW with pointed-headed entrance flanked
by polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capitals,
niche with statue of St Margaret above. Slender octagonal
belltower rises at angle of W gable with porch, bell chamber
lit by narrow louvred lancets and facetted spire with 4
triangular louvred lucarnes.
5-bay aisles lit by narrow paired cusped lights and nave
clerestory with similar triple windows. E gable of chancel
with long triple windows under stepped continuous hoodmould;
geometric tracery in W gable window. Angle buttresses;
steeply pitched slate roofs.
INTERIOR: lofty aisled interior with braced timber roof.
Aisle arcade supported by squat red Peterhead polished
granite columns rising from contrasting ashlar bases with
richly carved capitals depicting flowers, foliage and fruit.
Chancel approached by flight of steps; gilded wrought-iron
screen; richly decorated white marble altar and reredos;
stained glass chancel windows. Arcaded sedilia in chancel.
Stained glass in aisle windows by Baguley, Newcastle
1887-1909. Caen stone font with marble enrichment and
carved oak cover (cover from Christ Church, Lancaster Gate,
London, demolished 1977). Circular stone pulpit (1936,
Davidson of Inverness). Decorative encaustic tiles to floors
(Minton); various mural memorials.
BURIAL GROUND: partially walled burial ground surrounds church
with simple entrance flanked by tooled rubble gate piers.
3 grey granite foundation stones from Aberlour Orphanage
(demolished) set by entrance; war memorial to boys from
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.