Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DALTULLICH BRIDGE OVER RIVER FINDHORNReference: LB2166

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 26/01/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Edinkillie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 98624 48820
  • Coordinates298624, 848820

Description

Late 18th century. High, slightly hump-back, single span

rubble bridge; dressed rubble arch ring buttressed at face;

dressed rubble parapet; sharply curved approaches at E and W;

modern pointing; 72' span.

Statement of Special Interest

Probably the bridge referred to in THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT of

1792 as the bridge commissioned by Miss Brodie of Lethen and

Coulmony "about a mile below her house" (Coulmony) in that

year. "A most elegant arch, 72' wide....(which) within less

than a month after it was passable this useful bridge gave

way and fell into the river". Rebuilt shortly afterwards.

Also listed in Ardclach Parish, Nairn District, Highland

Region.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, viii, (1793) p. 555.

C Dick Lauder, AN ACCOUNT OF THE GREAT FLOODS OF AUGUST, 1829

(1830) pp. 57-8.

THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii (1842), p. 39.

Alistair Scott, BRIDGES IN MORAY (1981) no page nos.

Nigel Tranter, THE QUEEN'S SCOTLAND, THE NORTH-EAST (1974),

p. 262.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 01/05/2016 16:34