This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 26/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Edinkillie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 1007 47813
  • Coordinates301007, 847813


Dated 1828 and 1871. William Playfair, 1828-9 mansion,

enlarged 1833 and 1842; alterations 1871, re-modelled Ronald

Phillips and Partners, 1964-6. Irregular picturesque

Italianate 2-storey house of differing roof heights with

long elevations N and S, and 3-stage tower at W gable with

shallow pyramidal roof. Pinned rubble, polished and tooled

ashlar sandstone dressings.

N ENTRANCE FRONT: 5-bay block at W of range fronted by wide

single storey advanced porch with engaged Roman Doric

columns, balustrade and recessed segmental-headed entrance

sheltering glazed doors under radial fanlight. Further 4-bay

range extends from E gable (datestone of 1871) with centre

shallow porch blocked as window. Further extensive walled

service court to S closed by 2-storey service dwelling with

shallow pyramidal roof (1842).

S GARDEN FRONT: symmetrical wide 3-bay block at W with

recessed centre bay spanned by balcony with decorative

balustrade supported by paired pilasters and sheltering

glazed entrance similar to N. (Re-modelled 1964-6). Mural

sundial on S face of tower; monogrammed plaque at N.

S front extends E with round-headed ground floor windows

beneath lean-to roof supported by substantial buttresses

dividing each window bay with end single bay with segmental-

headed loggia and higher 1st floor with round-headed

tripartite and shallow pyramidal roof. Multi-pane glazing

(some horizontal); renewed ridge stacks; piended slate roofs,

at W with platform roof and modillioned eaves.

INTERIOR: mainly re-modelled in 1965-6. Entrance lobby leads

to wide corridor hall through centre of W range to garden

door and verandah. (?Re-used) panelling with niches and

bookcases; plaster decoration to ceiling, overdoors, panelled

doors and some fluted pilasters delineating panelling.

DRAWING ROOM: carved wooden chimneypiece; overdoor and

panelled door with decorative beading; shallow coffering to


DINING ROOM: simple moulded detailing to ceiling; corniced

overdoor; marble topped radiator grill replaces former

chimneypiece; beaded mahogony door; panelled dado.

NW SITTING ROOM: ('Boys Room); re-used panelling, delineated

on inner wall in 3 by fluted Ionic pilasters. Round-headed

keystoned detailing; lugged and carved wooden chimneypiece

with swagged detailing.

STAIRCASE: barley-sugar twist turned wooden balusters; square

end newels with carved swags in relief and urn finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Dunphail Castle and land originally owned by Cumins of

Altyre; passed through Dunbars of Westfield to Grants of

Grant; inherited by Gordon Cumming of Altyre and through

marriage of Major Cumming to Mary Bruce of Kinnaird (taking

name of Cumming Bruce).

Dunphail House built by L Cumming Bruce.

Small single arched bridge dated 1808, with Latin inscription commemorating Aemillae Lenox Cumming, E of mansion. Earlier

19th century octagonal garden pavilion with piended roof

at SW.

Upgarded B to A 9.11.87



NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), pp. 185-6. Thomas Dick

Lauder, AN ACCOUNT OF THE GREAT FLOODS OF 1829 (1830), pp.

64-7 (illustrated). J & W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED

(1868), pp. 70-2. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF

BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1978), p. 647. University of Edinburgh

Playfair Collection. Moray District Record Office, Forres

(plans). National Monuments Record of Scotland.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at