Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Edinkillie
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 1985 46579
- Coordinates301985, 846579
1741, renovated 1813. Simple rectangular church with long 6-
bay S elevation. Harled with ashlar margins and dressings. 3
irregular piended or gabled projections at rear, with
entrances in outer return re-entrant angles with window above,
and housing stairwell and vestry. Later single keystoned
oculus in outer bays. 6 square-headed symmetrical windows
in S elevation; round-headed keystoned gallery window with
block imposts lights each gable.
Multi-pane glazing; simple bellcote at W gable, finial at E;
slate roof. Mural memorial plaque at base of W gable.
INTERIOR: galleried interior to 3 sides, narrow at S and
largely infilled by 1941 organ. Panelled demi-octagonal
pulpit in centre S wall with similarly shaped sounding board;
panelled back-board with flanking fluted pilasters. Plain
pine pews; simple shallow panelling to gallery front; 1941
Simple pine dado to entrance passage accommodating re-set
stone armorial dated 166?6, initialled MD and with worn
WATCH HOUSE- early 19th century rubble hexagonal watch house
with centre door in N face and flanking windows; rear
wallhead stack; facetted local slate roof; apex ball finial.
Former manse garden wall abuts watch house each side.
BURIAL GROUND: drystone wall encloses burial ground; squat
round rubble piers flank entrance with round stone caps.
18th and 19th century tombstones.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Re-set armorial in church initialled MD (Mark?) Dunbar with
Dunbar coat of arms. The Dunbars owned Dunphail castle during
16th, 17th and early 18th centuries.
Mural plaque and tomb at W gable to Sir Thomas Dick Lauder of Fountainhall and Relugas, author of 'An Account of the Great
Floods of August 1829' who died in Edinburgh 29th May 1848.
Fine row of Collection Ladles hang in entrance passage.
Communion table given in memory of Fl Lt Robert Bruce of
Glenerney, killed in action 1941.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xx (1792-3) Witherington and Grant
ed. vol. xvi (1982),, pp. 584-5. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii
(1842), p. 192. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1600-1843 (1957), pp. 79, 266.
Angus Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 19.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.