Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Deskford
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 50885 61660
- Coordinates350885, 861660
Roofless rubble rectangular church orientated to E; entrance
in centre of W gable and further entrances and windows,
some of 17th or early 18th century date, in S elevation.
Bellcote at W gable.
Sacrament house dated 1551 at extreme E end of N wall
rising full-height of wall, depicting pair of angels
displaying monstrance above small square aumbry enclosed
in ogee-headed carved moulding with inscription below, the
outer border carved in raised grapevine design. Mural
memorial dated 1658 and 2 mural tombstones dated 1613 and
1717; also 2 ogee-headed piscinae.
Coped rubble walled burial ground with 18th, 19th and 20th
century tombstones. Paired square ashlar piers flank N
entrance with moulded flat caps; pair simple cast-iron
Statement of Special Interest
Guardianship Monument. Church declared 'rather small' in 1836, and superseded by present parish church in 1871. Richly decorated sacrament house amongst the finest of its kind. It bears the arms of Alexander Ogilvie and Elizabeth Gordon with the inscription 'This pnt (present) lovable vark (work) of sacrement hous maid to honor and loving of God be ane noble man Alexander Ogilvie of that IIk and Elizabeth Gordon his spovs the year of God 1551'. Also immediately below the aumbry the text, in Latin, from St John vi 'I am the living bread which came from heaven; whoever eateth of this bread shall live for ever'. Scheduled monument.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1790-1, Witherington and Grant
ed. vol. xvi, 1982), pp. 137-8. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii
(1836), p.68. Rt Rev Mgr David MacRoberts, 'Scottish
Sacrament House', TRANSACTIONS OF THE SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL
SOCIETY, vol xv, part 3, (1965), pp. 51, 56.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.