Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/05/1971
  • Supplementary Information Updated: 06/07/2001


  • Local Authority: East Dunbartonshire
  • Planning Authority: East Dunbartonshire
  • Burgh: Bearsden

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 5432 7228
  • Coordinates254320, 672280


Built 1807, and thrice enlarged in following 20 years. Large crowstepped structure, roughly cruciform on plan, interior galleries on 3 sides. Churchyard contains interesting monuments including mausoleum of Campbells of Succoth.

INTERIOR: includes wealth of stained glass; Stephen Adam and Alf Webster, Henderson Memorial window, circa 1912; Daniel Cottier (with McCulloch and Gow) Good Samaritan Window, 1884; J T and C E Stewart, Crossing the Bar window; 2 windows, Robert Anning Bell (Guthrie and Wells); Norman MacLeod MacDougall, lancet window; 3 windows by Douglas Strachan; more modern windows by Gordon Webster and Eildith Keith.

Statement of Special Interest

New Kilpatrick Cemetery is situated to the east of church and churchyard described here, at some distance, and contains fragments of the Antonine Wall. The stained glass windows are of exceptional importance, covering over a century of Scottish design in this field, and account for the Cat A listing. They are seen by experts to be comparable to those at St John's Kirk, Perth, and Trinity Parish Church, St Andrews. The collection maps the development of the Stephen Adam/Alf Webster partnership. It includes the earliest known ecclesiastical window by McCulloch & Gow for Daniel Cottier, significant work by J T and C E Stewart, and work by Robert Anning Bell, Norman MacLeod MacDougall, Gordon Webster, Eildith Keith and Douglas Strachan. The 3-light window by C E Stewart of Tennyson's Crossing the Bar is a later re-use of a destroyed design by J T Stewart at Leslie Church Pollokshields, circa 1904, and is executed in Stewart's particular hydrofloric acid technique.

Upgraded B to A July 2001.



NMRS. Groome's Gazetteer. Vol IV. pp383-4 3rd Statistical Account, page 278. NSA Vol iii pp41-46. Information courtesy of Michael Donnelly.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 07:48