Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

GORDONSTOUN HOUSE, ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS AND WATER TOWERReference: LB2239

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 26/01/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Drainie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 18440 68988
  • Coordinates318440, 868988

Description

Mansion with 16th century core; re-built 1st Marquis Huntly,

1616. N elevation re-faced with extensive symmetrical re-

fenestration and other external alterations circa 1730;

further alterations during 19th century and after fire 1940.

Extensive repairs 1945 and (balustrade) 1979. 3-storey, 8-bay

central block, circa 1730 with earlier core, flanked by 2-

storey and attic 4-bay wings also incorporating earlier work.

Polished ashlar N facade; harl pointed rubble elsewhere with

ashlar dressings.

N ELEVATION: low ground floor with small windows in centre

block; band course between ground and 1st floor; ashlar

quoins. Lugged architrave to centre door; classical doorpiece

dated 1730 with paired engaged Corinthian columns on plinths

supporting entablature and modillioned pediment. Secondary

entrance extreme right under reset coat of arms of Sir Robert

Gordon (1580-1656).

WINGS: 17th century corbelled conical roofed bartizans at

each angle. Mid-17th century coat of arms of Nova Scotia

inserted in 1st floor, W gable; mid-19th century gabletted

dormers.

SOUTH ELEVATION: similar to N front but wings project forming

shallow U-plan; centre door with moulded lugged architrave

and rectangular vent above. Masonry scars, blocked windows at

ground floor and remains of vaulting all indicate unfinished alterations. 2 small oval windows, one in each outer bay,

between 1st and 2nd floors. Single gabletted dormer and

single scroll skewputt to each wing. Multi-pane glazing

throughout. Moulded corniced stacks to balustraded and flat

roofed main block; slate roof with stone ridge to wings.

INTERIOR: barrel vaulted passage runs full length of ground

floor; main rooms of centre block left unfinished after 1730 alterations, and refurbished during earlier/mid 19th century;

and again after fire circa 1945. Entrance hall panelled with

panelling re-used from former Drainie parish chruch (1821,

Gillespie Graham arch. dem.). Cantilevered stair with

wrought-iron balustrade from ground to 1st floor; some

corniced ceilings in flanking wings; re-used ashlar doorpiece

at 1st floor with owl in pediment.

ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS: high coped flanking garden walls

extend each side from wings, each with entrance close to

house decorated with re-used pediments, and at left with re-

used overmantel dated 1679.

WATER TOWER: mid 18th century, small freestanding water

tower with round-headed door in W side. Rubble with ashlar

dressings and band course; pyramidal slate roof with stone

ball finial and weather vane. Re-built projecting length of

wall at W.

Statement of Special Interest

Known as Bog of Plewlands until changed to Gordonstoun

1642 by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. Owned by Ogstouns

during 15th century; Innes' of Innermarkie and Innes 1473-

1616; George, Marquis of Huntly 1616-1638. Purchased by Sir

Robert Gordon, 'Tutor' of Sutherland, 1638. Passed to Cumming

Gordon (later Gordon Cumming) family of Altyre, Forres, 1795.

Became Gordonstoun School 1934. Damaged by fire in 1940.

Mansarded 4th storey behind balustrade never re-built

after this fire. Re-used overmantel dated 1679 in garden wall

said to have come from one of the demolished Elgin Cathedral

Manses.

References

Bibliography

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868) pp.86-89. H L

Brereton, GORDONSTOUN, ANCIENT ESTATE AND MODERN SCHOOL

(1968) 2 early 18th century plans National Library of

Scotland, Edinburgh. Other plans with Moray District Record

Office, Forres. Agnes Keith, THE PARISH OF DRAINIE AND

LOSSIEMOUTH (1975), p.186. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL

DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978) p.100.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 05/05/2016 07:47