MICHAEL KIRK: dated 1705, restored and interior refurbished,
John Kinross, 1900-01. Gothic. Ashlar. Small 3-bay church
with large pointed windows with elaborate Y-tracery in E and
W gables. Centre S door with flanking windows; reveals with
half-round and fillet moulding decorated with stairs and
roses; flanking windows with Y-tracery and deeply moulded
architraves; continuous string course dropped under cills.
Square clear glass quarries; flat moulded skews; steeply
pitched West Highland slate roof with stone ridge and apex
INTERIOR: panelled throughout, 1900-01. Various mural
memorials including that to Sir Robert Gordon, died 1704
(possibly carved by John Faid, Elgin), and previous and
subsequent Gordons and Gordon Cummings. Chequered black and
white marble floor.
BURIAL GROUND: surrounded by simple stone walls with low,
coped, square dressed rubble gatepiers to E and W entrances;
western gatepiers have inset re-used 17th century carved
CROSS: market cross type; tall, rectangular shaft with
chamfered and stopped angles; incised hammer mark; hole
probably for jougs; small star shaped finial with centre
hole; stands on simple square stone plinth.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclecisiastical building in use as such in the charge of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Built by Dame Elizabeth Dunbar as a mausoleum in memory
of her husband, Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. Restored by
Lady (Florence) Gordon Cumming for use during her family's
summer residences at Gordonstoun from Altyre (Forres). Now
used as chapel for Gordonstoun School.
Altar moved to W end of church to increase seating
Parish of Ogstoun united with that of Kineddar in 1669 as
parish of Drainie. Old Drainie Church (1673); New Drainie
Church (1821, Gillespie Graham) dem. 1923. Ogstoun also
served as market site.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTLAND, ii (1897) pp.554-57. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) pp. 39, 52, 111.
Edward Lightowler THE MICHAEL KIRK AND ITS HISTORICAL
BACKGROUND (1980). THE ELGIN COURANT AND COURIER, 19 Feb
1901. Report of re-consecration of Michael Kirk. R Douglas,
MARKET AND OTHER CROSSES (N.D.) p.10. Agnes Keith, THE PARISH
OF DRAINIE AND LOSSIEMOUTH (1975), pp. 118-121, 187, 209.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.