Bishop James Kyle and A and W Reid, architects, Elgin,
1850-57: chancel, alter and baptistry, C T Menart, architect,
Glasgow, 1907. Large Gothic church with twin towered W
front. Red sandstone, contrasting tooled ashlar dressings.
W FRONT: centre gable flanked by 2-stage squared towers
with set back buttresses, louvred plate traceried windows
in upper stage, angle pinnacles and tall facetted spires
with lucarnes at base. Central pointed-headed recessed
entrance with moulded reveals, nook shafts and trumeau;
paired cusped doorways wtih plank doors; blind quatrefoil
in tympanum. Large 4-light geometric traceried window above
fills centre gable. 5-bay aisled nave lit by triple
pointed-headed clerestory lights. Slightly lower chancel lit
by similar but longer triple lights in N and S elevations
with gable rose window at E. Gable end cross finials;
INTERIOR: richly decorated aisled interior; pointed-headed
aisle arcades supported by diamond plan piers. Multicoloured
marble inlay decorates chancel and reredos; pulpit with carved
Gothic wooden backboard and sounding board; plain marble dado
in nave. Stations of the Cross with carved wooden frames;
simple wooden pews; scissor brace roof. Ornate war memorial
at rear of church.
PRESBYTERY: 2-storey and attic, wide 2-bay house at NE
of church. Red sandstone, contrasting tooled ashlar
dressings. Slightly advanced gable bay with narrow shouldered
lintel to entrance with panelled door tripartite at left. 3
narrow 1st floor windows, single canted dormer. Multi-pane
glazing. Coped ridge and wallhead stacks; slate roof.
ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: church and presbystery
surrounded by high coped rubble wall. Church fronted by low
coped wall with spearhead railings with matching carriage
gates flanked by square gatepiers with simple caps
and plain overthrow.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.