CHURCH: rectangular roofless church incorporating medieval
fabric, with base of 14th century tower at W gable and 16th
century porch at SW. Building remodelled and re-cast for
Presbyterian worship in earlier 18th century, probably 1739.
Rubble, ashlar dressings and margins.
4 earlier 18th century long square-headed windows light S
of hoodmould. Ribbed vaulted interior with centre boss.
elevation with single small gallery window in each outer bay
Entrance to church within porch closed by nail studded
and W gable. Centre rear forestair (to former gallery) and
double leaf plank door with hand wrought handle date 1739.
second forestair at E gable (leading to former laird's loft).
Various mural tablets set in church walls, both within and
Bellcote (probably 1739) at W gable apex.
without; also re-used fragments of carved stonework.
TOWER: base of tower at W gable with long pointed-headed
PARISH CROSS: probably 14th century. Tall, tapering stone
lancet window; vaulted interior.
shaft, square with chamfered angles; decorative carved band
PORCH: pointed-headed entrance with simple nook shafts,
near top; worn head. Original stepped stone base.
stylised quatrefoil detailing decorates moulding above
MORTHOUSE: dated 1830. Simple rectangular morthouse. Harl
imposts, stylised ball-flower ornamentation on upper edge
pointed rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
Entrance in S gable with dated and inscribed roundel above
lintel; squat apex finial, end stack at N.
BURIAL GROUND: walled burial ground. Various burial
enclosures including 18th century Dunbar enclosure; 17th,
18th, 19th century and subsequent tombstones.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.