Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/02/1972


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Boharm

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 29047 47105
  • Coordinates329047, 847105


Circa 1770, additions William Robertson, Elgin, 1826; re-modelled 1850, architect Thomas MacKenzie, Elgin. Tall 3-storey and attic, wide 3-bay S facing mansion with single storey rear wings enclosing narrow service court closed at N by long single storey and loft N facing stable range. Mixed granite rubble, tooled granite ashlar dressings to all mid-18th century work; polished sandstone ashlar dressings to 1850 re-modelling.

1850 centre entrance under round-headed arch with radial fanlight and flanked by similar shaped aproned windows, all linked by continuous moulded shaped cornice. Entrance fronted by 1850 arcaded and keystoned balustraded porte-cochere supporting ornamental urns. Centre projecting canted 1st and 2nd floor window (1850); full-heigh circa 1770 canted projecting windows at E and W gables, at W fronted by substantial 1850 circular terrace built over single storey drum shaped wing containing cool store; terrace reched by curved balustraded stair built against S face of curved wall.

Small square angle and front wallhead turrets with ogee slated roofs, shaped centre wallhead gablet, shaped end gables and pedimented dormer windows, all dating from 1850; multi-pane glazing.

Dated 1850 rainwater goods; paired heightened ridge stacks; slate roofs.

Circa 1770 rear central stair turret terminating in shallow pyramidal roof and flanked at NE by 3-storey, single bay wing (probably 1826).

Rear arched entrance to service court through stable block; low coped wall encloses rear stable court.

INTERIOR: simple entrance hall leading to circular rear stairhall with fine circular cantilevered staircase rising full 2-storey height. Moulded underside to stairs; turned wooden balusters and wooden handrail, shaped at 1st floor landing. Pair shallow round-headed niches ground and 1st


Principal public rooms at 1st floor level:-

DRAWING ROOM: W facing room with fine circa 1770 plaster ceiling with ornate angle urns and deep cornice; fielded panelled window shutters and doors, the later with carved overdoors decorated with shell detailing. Somewhat altered white marble chimneypiece with yellow marble inlay.

DINING ROOM: 1850 glazed mural cupboards with moulded surrounds and angle rosettes.

SITTING ROOM: E facing room with 1850 compartmented plaster ceiling; panelled doors and window shutters; carved chimneypiece.

Statement of Special Interest

Inscribed Pictish stone (Scheduled Ancient Monument No 348) incorporated in masonry in W gable, said to have been built into wall of former church of Arndilly. Arndilly the seat of the MacDowall Grants in 18th and 19th centuries. Rainwater goods initialled H McD G (Hay MacDowall Grant).

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.



THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1794-5, Witherington and Grant ed. 1982), p. 93.

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1834 and 1842), pp. 364, 366.

ABERDEEN JOURNAL, 20 September 1826.

THE BUILDER, 18 November 1854.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 00:00