This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/02/1972


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Boharm

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 31876 51706
  • Coordinates331876, 851706


William Robertson, 1830. N facing single storey, 5-bay

classical tollhouse; harled, ashlar margins and dressings.

Pedimented baseless Roman Doric tetrastyle portico; deep

string-coursed entablature. Narrow windows flank doorway,

slightly wider windows in outer bays; further single window

in E gable (facing road); 4- and 12-pane glazing. 3 centre

short corniced stacks; shallow piended slate roof.

Small later rear lean-to addition.

INTERIOR: simple 2-roomed interior.

Statement of Special Interest

There was a medieval bridge at Boat of Brig built by Muriel

de Polloc, the tolls supporting the hospital of St Nicholas

site nearby. Bridge re-placed by ferry-boat. Suspension

bridge designed and executed by Captain Samuel Brown RN,

opened 3 December, 1830; together with the tollhouse, it was

financed by Col Grant of Grant (Seafield Estates), Mr Richard

Wharton Duff of Orton and Mr P Steuart of Auchlunkart.

'Remarkably handsome' tollhouse where 'very moderate pontage'

was collected.

Tollhouse of unusually grandoise design.

Suspension bridge superseded by present bridge in 1952.

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.



ELGIN COURIER, 19 February, 3 and 10 December 1830. ABERDEEN


(1834), pp. 365-6. J R Gray, ROTHES PAST AND PRESENT (1954),

p. 27. Scottish Record Office GD/248/1564/80.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at