This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

KELLAS HOUSEReference: LB2345

Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 25/04/1989


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Dallas

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 16602 53933
  • Coordinates316602, 853933


Frank Deas, 1913-21. Scottish Arts and Crafts. Roughly

L-plan, 2-storey asymmetrical house with entrance at N

with S garden front in principal arm of L. Harled, ashlar


L-plan N entrance front with off-centre entrance,

circular drum tower stairwell in re-entrant angle and

service wing left. 2-storey, rectangular plan porch with segmental-headed, keystoned entrance, chamfered angles at

1st floor rising to ashlar balustraded wallhead; small

centre corbelled oriel with carved decoration depicting

stylised foliage and roses. 2 long round-headed windows

light stair tower; irregular fenestration include 1st

floor and gablet oculi.

6-bay S garden front with segmental-headed ground floor

fenestration, side entrance and full height projecting

canted window; single storey verandah at SW with shaped

wooden balustered wallhead infills re-entrant angle

between gables.

Irregular E elevation with another drum stair-tower and

mullioned window under wallhead balustrade.

Narrow W elevation with single storey bowed and

balustraded porch leading to study/gunroom.

Rear service court entered through segmental-headed arch

linking intergral garage.

Multi-pane glazing. Shaped gables with flat skews; coped

ridge and wallhead stacks; Caithness slate roofs.

INTERIOR: entrance porch leads to hall-corridor running

E-W with study entrance at right (W) and stairwell at E.

Simple staircase with wide lower trades and splayed

balustrade seated in tapered newel-column rising to

ceiling; flat shaped oak balusters, linked at turn of

stairs by square newel post carved with low relief

thistle decoraton.

DRAWING ROOM: long S facing room with hearths each end,

divisible by sliding doors across centre of room. Wide

recessed chimneypiece at E, tiled below mantelshelf with

either plain white or decorative coloured Dutch tiles

and panelled above; original grate and fender. W hearth

in deeper, inglenook style recess; as at E but narrower,

the upper part plain but flanked by round-headed shelved

alcoves; simple moulded ceiling.

DINING ROOM: D-ended at N end with tiled chimneypiece

right and service door left; shelved alcove above

fireplace; moulded cornice.

Statement of Special Interest

House designed by Frank Deas for his cousin, Mr George

Christie. Though commenced in 1913 it was not completed

until after the 1st World War. The site was a piece of

bare hillside overlooking the River Lossie. The present

mature garden was designed and planted by Mr Christie,

whose family continue to own Kellas House.



Plans and drawings signed and dated 1913 in possession of

present owner.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at