William Robertson, 1822-23; additions to town hall (facing
The Square), John Fowlie, 1899-1900. Repairs after fire,
2-storey L-plan corner range fronting Seafield Street (hotel
of 5 bays) and The Square (town hall, 9 bays of which the
northern 4 bays are the 1899-1900 additions). 2-storey,
5-bay stable court frontage extends E along Seafield Street.
Harled with generous use of ashlar dressings and margins.
Ashlar faced bowed pivotal angle of 3 bays with 3
segmental-headed entrances in ground floor approached by
curved flight of steps. 3 1st floor windows set in
round-headed shallow recesses. Seafield Street frontage with
slightly advanced outer bays; similar arrangement to The
Square facade, the northern 4 bays (1899-1900) in similar
style to the original resulting in 9-bay elevation, the outer
and centre bays slightly advanced. 1st floor windows in
advanced bays are set in shallow round-headed ashlar
recesses, all other 1st floor windows have bracketted
cornices, all being linked by continuous band/cill course;
Wide segmental-headed centre entrance to hotel in Seafield
Street; similar entrance in original 5-bay frontage facing
The Square (but no longer in centre of facade owing to
Deep ashlar corniced eaves band and blocking course, stepped
above advanced bays and supporting Seafield coat of arms at
pivotal angle bay. Blocking course removed at Seafield Street
frontage to accommodate 4 mid-20th century piended dormers.
Coped ridge stacks; slate roof, bowed at angle; corrugated
asbestos roof (1951-3) with shallow pitch to town hall.
Former stable court fronts Seafield Street at E; centre tall basket-arched entrance flanked by tripartites in shallow
recessed bays; small 1st floor (former loft) windows, the
centre of oval form. Multi-pane glazing; slate roof with
INTERIOR: much altered both in hotel and town hall. Centre
1st floor council chamber with original curved panelled doors
with reeded doorpieces and centre plaster ceiling rosette.
Council chamber reached by re-modelled imperial staircase
with surviving Greek key-pattern dado and banding to top
light; also original niche with marble statue of Venus. All
other rooms in town hall re-modelled. Hotel also adapted for
modern use but beaded panelled window shutters and moulded
door cases survive in 1st floor lounge: original cast-iron
balusters to staircase.
Statement of Special Interest
Built and paid for at cost of $3,000 by Colonel F W Grant for
the Earl of Seafield; building combined town hall, post
office, 'commodious courtroom' and hotel; there was also a
ball room. Ashlar masonry re-used from 'House o Rannas'
(Rathven Parish), in particular for the staircase. The town
hall (fronting The Square) was considered too small at end of
19th century, and after purchasing the adjoining plot and
after considerable consultation, John Fowlie, architect to
Seafield estates, designed the additional 4-bay extension at
the N end of The Square to accommodate a new town hall
capable of seating 500. This was badly damaged by fire in
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.