Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 10/08/1972
- Local Authority: Fife
- Planning Authority: Fife
- Parish: Ceres
National Grid Reference
- NGRNO 37032 11269
- Coordinates337032, 711269
Built 1550/79, altered 1637 (dated) L-plan tower-house, 33 x
27-1/4 with newel stair jamb 6'10" x 13'2", 4-storey and
garret (barrel vaulted ground floor with entresol, barrel
vaulted 2nd) ashlar-built, moulded round-headed doorway,
stone-spired top to stair, corbelled parapet and crowstepped
Statement of Special Interest
National Trust property: guardianship monument. The fine
garret fireplace is now at Hill of Tarvit. The 1627
alterations were carried out for Sir John Scot, Director of
the Chancery and author of THE STAGGERING STATE OF THE SCOTS
STATESMEN, who had bought the estate in 1611 from Alexander
Inglis. A charter of 1579 refers to a tower on the barony of
Tarvet; no reference in 1550 charter.
Scheduled Area 2 February 2000.
OSA v V p 389
NSA v IX p 524
C & D Arch v II p 40
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.