1833 flax mill with mid 19th century ancillary
buildings. a. 1833 2-storey and attic 18-by 3-bay
rubble-built mill. Elevation to Miln Street 18-bay, with
corner bay occupied by a square section chimney built
into the body of the mill, stone to cornice, brick beyond
with an iron tie-band and top 20' removed.
N elevation: window and blocked door to boiler house. 2
tall roundheaded engine house windows with 2 small 1st
floor windows above left again. 13 bays to E are 2-storeys
of 8-pane sash and case windows, with 2 windows replaced
for new entrance. Cornice, and parapet. Slate mansard roof
with continuous skylight and dormer over lift. Stone
party wall between boiler house section and the main mill.
Elevation to West Henderson's Wynd: Gable with chimney
at left, blind ground floor, 3-bay 1st floor, cornice and
3 multi-paned sash and case windows in mansard gable.
S elevation 18 bay with 3 arched bays at W for ground
floor boiler house with 1 window and a hoist door above.
Other openings in ground floor wall, circa 1846-51, for
access from preparing room, some shouldered, some with
cast-iron beams. 1st floor sash and case windows;
corniced and parapet.
Interior: a central row of iron columns with triangular
brackets and saddles, N row of subsidiary columns, 4
with brackets, and S row wooden posts support cross-wise
timber beams and wooden ceiling. Engine house has wheel
pit, wall-boxes and wooden boarded walls and ceiling.
1st floor a single row of iron columns carries lengthwise
wooden beam, with subsidiary cross-beams on wooden posts.
Plastered ceiling. Attic has 2 rows of iron columns
carrying gothic traceried cast-iron roof, possibly a
rebuild after an 1852 fire on Upper Dens Mill lines.
b. Preparing room, circa 1846-51, single storey with
delicate cast-iron roof.
c. Batching rooms E section 1830s, becoming L-plan in
1846-51. Single-storey with iron columns and wooden roof.
2-storey 5-bay front to yard with ground floor doors,
external stone stair to 1st floor, and slate M-roof,
added in 1860s. Iron columns and wooden floors.
d Office, 1830s, 2-storey 3-bay with 2-bay extension
into ground floor of storehouse fronting West Henderson's
Wynd. 12-pane sash and case windows, etched at ground floor.
Slate roof with party wall and 3 ridge stacks.
"Verdant Works" mosaic in doorway. N bay lodge has
balustraded wooden counter. Office has late 19th century
wood and glass panelled partitions and a plaster ceiling.
e. 2-storey and attic storehouse, 1851-7, gable to West
Henderson's Wynd. Ground floor 2 office windows and
iron door under iron lintel. 1st floor wooden loading
door. Skewputts and flat-topped finial to gable. 1 1st
floor window to S (rest blocked by D C Thomson's).
Loading doors to yard on both floors. Wooden floors and
attic on iron ground floor columns and wooden 1st floor
f. Warehouse at SE, 1857-71. M wrought-iron tie-roof
on iron columns. Rubble walls.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.