This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 15419 69554
  • Coordinates315419, 669554


Earlier 18th century. Double-chambered, 2-stage lectern dovecot. Rubble with harl-pointing; ashlar quoins; stugged sandstone margins. Crowstepped gables; ashlar coping along roof ridge. Rat course with slate coping; 2 to gables (upper with course coping).

S ELEVATION: 2-bay; blank ground floor; 2 window openings at upper stage; right opening blocked; chamfered arrises.

E ELEVATION: door at centre ground.



INTERIOR: sandstone nesting-boxes; 828 in total.

Grey slated lean-to roof, horizontal break with flight- holes at lower level of roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Addistoun was the site of the former dower house of Dalmahoy House and was incorporated into the policies of Dalmahoy in the latter half of the 18th century. The house was lived in by Thomas Hogg of Newliston prior to the building of Newliston. The original house was demolished in the 1930s and the new Addistoun House was designed by Charles Soutar of Dundee from 1937-39. Addistoun House is listed separately. See similar dovecots at Newhailes (converted), Pilmuir, East Lothian, Pencaitland and Biel.



C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p75. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p34. A Niven Robertson 'OLD DOVECOTS in and around Edinburgh' in BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB (1945) Vol 25 p90. AN INVENTORY OF THE GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND VOL 5 LOTHIAN AND BORDERS (1987) pp1-4. Roy's map of Lothian c1750.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at