This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 16741 62782
  • Coordinates316741, 662782


Circa 1628 with possible earlier foundation, later circa 1900 additions by Robert Lorimer, further alterations in 1938 by Dick Peddie and Mckay. 2-storey and attic, crowstepped gabled laird's house; harled rubble with sandstone margins and dressings; boat-shaped dormers.

E (MAIN) ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrical bays to main block, 6th earlier 20th century flat-roofed block to outer right with single storey gabled stable block advanced to E. Door off-centre to left at ground, simple lugged surround; gun-loop immediately to left, gun-loops on 2 stages on right return of advanced outer left block. 2 small windows directly above door, roll-moulded jamb and lintel; small inter-floor window to right of door. 2 loosely spaced bays grouped to right, dormer to left of penultimate bay; windows symmetrically ranged from basement level to 2nd floor, roll-moulded jamb and lintel at centre window; curved round tower bay at corner outer right of main block, gun-loop at ground level, 3 small windows ranged above, very small window under eaves; modern flat-roofed block clasping to outer right. Broad bay to left of door with crowstepped gable breaking eaves, gun-loop at ground right; 2 large windows with chamfered arrises to left at principal, 2nd floor. Broad slightly advanced bay to outer left, dormer at centre. Sympathetic circa 1900 turret by Robert Lorimer in re-entrant angle, deeply moulded corbelling.

S ELEVATION: L-plan, broad, single bay main block to left, narrow gabled jamb advanced to outer right. Windows symmetrically disposed at centre of main block from ground to shaped dormerhead at attic. Narrow window at ground, broad window to principal floor, narrow window off-set to left of centre in jamb; windows symmetrically disposed off-centre to left of left return.

W ELEVATION: originally L-plan, 2-bay main block of broad advanced gable to outer right with block recessed to left; early 20th century infill service bay in re-entrant angle with 2-storey flat-roofed 3-bay block to outer left. Gable blank except for window at right at gablehead; window at principal floor, pedimented window on left return. Block to left with windows symmetrically disposed at centre. 2-bay, single storey, flat-roofed block in re-entrant angle, moulded coping with 3 blind, decorative stone guttering details under coping; narrow door to right, panelled and boarded, fanlight above, window to left. Flat-roofed outer left block, windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, large window at ground outer left, narrow window to right.

12-pane sash and case windows, 4-pane over 2-pane sash and case, 4-pane small windows, 8-pane over 12-pane sash and case at W. Grey slate roof, stone ridge; harled, coped apex and ridge stacks, thackstanes.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993

STABLES AND STORES: single storey, long, rectangular-plan, crowstepped gable block immediately to W of house, aligned N-S. Harled with polished stone margins and dressings; moulded eaves cornice, decorative guttering under eaves.

E ELEVATION: 10-bay (bays grouped 1-3-3-1-2). Boarded doors, latticed, coloured glass fanlight; 16-pane casement windows; small 6-pane windows.

W ELEVATION: mainly blank wall with window at centre; piended, cement rendered dormerheads symmetrically disposed.

Grey slate roof, crowstepped gables; narrow, coped, rendered stacks to left of apex.

OUTBUILDINGS: long, rectangular-plan, gabled block advanced to E of house at N side forming partial entrance court. Harled with polished stone and concrete dressings and margins; moulded eaves cornice, decorative guttering.

N ELEVATION: 7 near-symmetrical bays; crowstepped, gabled hoist door at centre, half-glazed, boarded hoist door, door and window at ground; 3 bays to left, door and 2 windows, door and window to right.

S ELEVATION: small blind, guttering and niche detailing symmetriaclly disposed under eaves.

Grey slate roof; stone roof ridge; tall modern rendered ridge stack.

E GATEPIERS: directly in front of entrance is original 17th century approach, now overgrown and un-used but still obvious. At the base of the avenue are 17th century gatepiers, coursed stone to E face with corncie, sqaure cap, evidence of finials but no longer evident; large rubble built buttresses at rear.

GATEPIERS: low ashlar corniced gatepiers leading into service area at rear of house; sunken centre panel, ball finial.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low, drystone rubble walls surrounding area of house to S and E. Rubble wall with harl pointing and semicircular coping to W.

Statement of Special Interest

The lands of Easter and Wester Bavelaw were granted by the king to Laurence Scott of Harperrig, Advocate in 1628. A manor house and tower existed on the site which was built by Walter Dundas, so some of the fabric may date to an earlier period, although Scott enlarged

the existing house and is responsible for its present appearance. In the early 20th century Lorimer carried out alterations and additions in a sympathetic manner, the corbelled turret, the dormers and reconstruction of the outbuildings and stables to N and W: Lorimer also carried out interior remodellings. The original avenue to the E is no longer used and the house is approached from the SW. The remains of the cup of a 17th century sundial is freestanding on a wall to the NE; a 17th century obelisk finial is set on the opposite wall.



RCAHMS INVENTORY OF MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929) p151-152. SCOTTISH FIELD (August 1955) p28. NMRS MLD/4/1-4 National Art Survey drawings, circa 1897. NMRS Dick Peddie and McKay Collection, alterations 1938, Attic 2, Bin 2, Bag 2. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) pp98-99.


About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at