Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 30938 73811
- Coordinates330938, 673811
Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay house at end of terrace; rectangular-plan with extension to rear. Finely droved ashlar; harled blank side elevation. Base course, cill course to 1st floor, cornice and blocking course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: regularly disposed bays; windows to each floor of bay to centre and to left. Stylised fielded panel door in semicircular recess in bay to right; fluted ingoes; broad semicircular radial fanlight spanning door and flanking pilasters, also recessed; window at 1st floor above.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: pre-1856 projection at bay to right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with platform at apex lit by cupola; coped skews and apex stacks.
INTERIOR: exceptionally high quality decorative plasterwork throughout, including gothic fan-vaulting to entrance hall, bosses and ribs to cupola, cornices, roses and overdoors to principal rooms; white marble drawing room chimneypiece with carved floral details and incised anthemions; original grate fittings; black marble dining room chimneypiece.
BOUNDARY WALLS: droved ashlar with coping.
Statement of Special Interest
Upon stylistic grounds one may assume that the plasterwork dates from a later date than the house itself.
Wood's map, 1824. Sutter's map, 1856. 2nd edition OS map, 1896. Dean of Guild.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.