This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 27189 76481
  • Coordinates327189, 676481


Nos 27 and 29 probably John Russell Jun., builder, 1807; No 31 circa 1820; No 1 Seaport Street James Thomson, 1893. 3-storey and attic corner block of 3 tenements with classical details in unified design of various dates. Grey sandstone, stugged ashlar with polished dressings to front and SE elevation, coursed and squared rubble to rear of main block, squared and snecked rubble to Seaport Street block. Base course; rusticated ground floor of polished ashlar; band course above ground floor; cill course at 1st floor; band cill course at 2nd floor; eaves cornice and blocking course; arcade effect at ground floor to NE elevation.

NE (BERNARD STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 9-bay; 3 centre bays slightly recessed with shop doorway to right bay, panelled door and semi-circular plate glass fanlight. 1st floor windows divided by strip pilasters set in round-arched ashlar panels with fluted aprons. Single windows at 2nd floor. Slightly advanced 3 outer bays; to right doorway to common stair with panelled door and radial fanlight; to left doorway at centre with panelled door and semi-circular plate glass fanlight. 1st floor windows architraved with centre window consoled and pedimented; outer windows corniced. Single windows at 2nd floor above. 3 rectangular tripartite dormers with piended roofs, 1 canted tripartite dormer.

SE (SEAPORT STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay; 3-bays to outer right (1815) with single windows per bay and floor; 1st floor windows architraved, centre window consoled and pedimented, outer windows corniced. 5 bays to left (1893) with matching detailing; corniced and consoled doorway to outer left, panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight, bipartite window and doorway with panelled door and small-pane fanlight flanking. Single windows to remaining bays and floors. 2 canted tripartite dormers with piended roofs.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows, some altered, some window guards to Bernard Street blocks. Corbelled corner swept to square at eaves level to SW corner of Seaport street block. Small 2-storey rubble-built felt-roofed warehouse with central gable, hoist and hoist doors to SW.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with metal flashings; corniced mutual stacks, wallhead stack to rear of No 31. Ornamental cast-iron gutter brackets to rear of Seaport Street block.

GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: 5 coped gatepiers and plain iron railings to NE.

Statement of Special Interest

The drawings for No 31 are unsigned and dated 1814 but were still at planning stage by 1817. However, the full terrace is shown on Thomson?s 'Plan of Leith and Environs' of 1827. The coherent design of the terrace matches that of Nos 15-23 Bernard Street, framing the classical Bank at No 25. Group with listings from 1-25 Bernard Street and 2-18 Bernard Street, 29-43 Constitution Street and Robert Burns Statute.



Dean of Guild 25/5/1807; May 1814; 25/11/1893. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p471. Nos 27,29 shown on Kirkwood?s Edinburgh & Environs?, 1827.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at