This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 27/10/1964


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24008 73180
  • Coordinates324008, 673180


John Miller, engineer, 1840, opened 1842. Italianate symmetrical 2-storey 7-bay station office and entrance block. Ashlar sandstone with polished dressings and long and short quoins. Dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course. 2-leaf panelled doors with 2-pane fanlights.

PRINCIPLE ELEVATION: tetrastyle Tuscan portico across 3 bays at centre with entablature (dentilled cornice) and blocking course; behind, 4 closely spaced windows and a door to far left. Flanking bays with consoled cornices; door to right, built up window to left. Outer bays advanced, each with door and consoled cornice at ground. 1st floor windows to all bays with bracketed cills and consoled cornices. Clock above cornice at centre, in round-headed moulded ashlar frame, slightly splayed at base; James Ritchie and Son.

SIDE ELEVATIONS: 2-bay. Stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings; dentilled cornice and blocking course. Much altered.

REAR ELEVATION: 3-storey 6-bay rear elevation with wallhead stacks and modern additions; detailed as side elevations, without cornice. Gablehead dormer to right.

Modern stairs to platforms at lower level.

Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing. Shallow piend roof behind blocking course, grey slates; corniced wallhead stacks; original pierced octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: gutted at ground for modern ticket booths, shop and offices. Boardroom survives at centre of 1st floor; monumental polished pink granite Egyptian chimneypiece with pair of squat obelisks flanking simple mantelpiece; single window cornice supported on consoles, with acroteria, fills NE wall; NW door with massive surround and cornice supported on consoles. Heavily moulded dentilled cornice and ceiling rose, both with anthemion and palmette decoration. Most of 1st and upper floors derelict (1992).

STEPS AND RAILINGS: ashlar steps descending to platform level to N; cast-iron decorative railings at centre. Cast-iron lamp standard at upper ground level. Gates removed.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally the head office of the terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. David Bell is likely to have been responsible for the architectural design. Original iron train shed now at Bo'ness Museum. Trains ran through to Waverley from 1846, but present arrangement of through platforms by James Carswell, 1894. Platforms redeveloped 1982-4.



British Rail Archives (SRO); BLASTPIPE Nos 55, 60 1982,1983; Dennis Rodwell "What Does One Do with a Dilapidated Pidgeon Coop?" SCOTTISH FIELD; A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH p 278. Gifford et. al. EDINBURGH p 369.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at