J Gillespie Graham, 1815, incorporating 1736 Baird family vault at rear. Rectangular plan with 3-stage tower to W, Gothic church on site of earlier church, Coursed, stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings, base course, corner buttresses, hoodmoulds, cornice. Crenellated parapet, cruciform finials to gables. Predominantly simple decorated tracery with stone mullions and transoms, plain glass. Each elevation symmetrical.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay. 2 pointed-arched doorways in advanced buttressed and gabled penultimate bays, boarded timber doors with window above. Small 17th century rectangular blocks beside each door, carved with figures and hourglass, probably tomb fragments. 2 tall 3-light windows to centre bay with cast-iron railed Gothic memorial to Rev Grantam in red sandstone ashlar between. Single window to outer bays, door with window above on W return beside tower, crowstepped gable rising to abut tower.
TOWER: 3-stage, with corbelled, crenellated parapet and thin gabled pinnacles. Door to W at ground, single light window above and to each return, 2-light louvred windows to each stage above.
E ELEVATION: gabled, with crowstepped gables and round opening with trefoil window to gablehead. 2 doorways at ground floor to outer bays with 2-light light window above, large 3-light window to centre.
N ELEVATION: central advanced, buttressed, gabled bay with gabled pinnacles, door at ground floor, 2 tall 2-light windows flanking. Bay flanked by 2 windows at left and right.
INTERIOR: T-plan created by stair-halls at NE and NW corners. Built to accommodate 1,480, altered to seat 1,000 in 1882. Woodwork stripped in 1928. Plain compartmentalised ceiling and oak furnishings; Gothic panelled fronted galleries on 3 sides carried on slender cast-iron columns. Pulpit to S with (dummy) organ loft above, organ 1928, simple Gothic panelling to communion table. Carved memorial to Rev W Purdie (died 1834) on W wall beneath gallery signed A Ritchie. Stained glass on S wall, E end, 2 lights by Ballantine 1905. ELDERS ROOM: originally Baird vault from earlier church. Small vaulted room to NE housing 3 memorials to members of Baird family of Newbyth; 2 white marble plaques with family crest on N and S walls, large Baroque grey and white marble memorial of 1736 on W wall, also memorial to Margaret Steuart, white and grey marble by Richard Cooke 1804.
GRAVEYARD: enclosed by rubble coped, rubble walls with ashlar polygonal GATEPIERS to S and wrought-iron GATES, pedestrian gateway to right with stone arched overthrow adjoining Session House. Graveyard encloses other very fine 17th, 18th and 19th century memorials; Neo-classical Stevenson memorial adjoining N wall, grey ashlar with marble plaque in carved surround, also railed enclosure with ashlar plaques to Duncan family. Free-standing, Baroque carved memorials to Aitkens (1690?s).and Haliburtons (1760) to SE of church. To SW, ornate, free-standing, pedimented and pilastered memorial to Baxter family, 1737 with engaged caryatids carrying entablature at sides. Late 17th century table memorial to W of church to Straiton family of Tower Farm, elaborately carved with recumbent effigy within, damaged.
Graveyard extended early 20th century to W and to N with low ashlar walls and railings to Liberton Brae, 2 sets of ashlar gatepiers and gates to W, one to Kirkbrae to N. 1914-18 war memorial inside W gates to Liberton Brae.
OFFERTORY HOUSE: single storey, 2-bay building inside S gates, contemporary with and in same style as church with harled 20th century lean-to to E.. Timber boarded door to left, window to right each with square hoodmoulds. Arched window to N. Crowstepped gables, blind to S, polygonal stack to S. Retains timber fittings inside.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.