Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 23089 71052
- Coordinates323089, 671052
James Gowans, circa 1880. 2-storey and attic irregular-plan idiosyncratic double villa; cream sandstone, ashlar front and sides, coursed and squared rubble rear with ashlar dressings; chamfered reveals; ashlar mullions; indented diamond frieze at eaves level; pedimented ashlar dormer-and gableheads (No 1 with pen-nib carving) and cast-iron ball finials. SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: 4-bay; mirrored about centre; 2-storey tripartite bow windows to inner bays each with pierced ashlar balustrade, steeply pitched gabled dormer with tripartite window above; stylised incised petal motif in gableheads; entrance doors of 10 equal panels in outer bays, semi-circular fanlight and sideleights (later stained glass border to No 2), ornamental carved brackets supporting cornice with frieze of pen-nib carving rising as semi-circled hood above door; single window at 1st floor; dormer above.
SE ELEVATION: advanced 2-storey bay to right with half-piend roof and dormer, 3 windows at ground floor, 1 at 1st floor, 1 window on return of bay; narrow single storey projection in re-entrant angle with side entrance and 4 widnows under eaves; bowed ashlar oriel above with indented diamond frieze, fish-scale half-conical roof and stylised elongated pen-nib motif on corbel; small bipartite stair windows in central bay, upper window with moulded block capitals; tripartite window in gablehead with indented diamond frieze and cornice.
NW ELEVATION: as SE elevation; lower timber lean-to conservatory with cast-iron ornamental brackets encasing single storey projection.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: mirrored about centre, each 3-bay; tripartite windows with narrow outer lights at ground and 1st floor of inner bays; dormers above; each projecting central bay with tripartite window at ground and 1st floor, flanked by narrow single windows; ashlar dormers above; narrow windows on return; single windows at ground floor to recessed outer bays; 3 single storey garages at No 1 (built 1954). Mostly plate glass timber sash and case windows, some 2-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lower sashes to rear and sides; green slate roof, lead flashings; 3 grooved ridge stacks, corniced with dentilled frieze and ornamental serrated cans; moulded eaves gutter.
INTERIOR: not seen 1992.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: high rubble boundary wall to NW, gatepier with large cast-iron sputnik ball finial to NW; low wall with saddleback coping to SW and SE, distinctive cast-iron railings to SE; tapering ashlar pedestrian gatepiers, chamfered corners, pyramidal copes and bands of stylised petal motifs.
Statement of Special Interest
Gifford et al., EDINBURGH (1984), p537; Duncan McAra SIR JAMES GOWANS ROMANTIC RATIONALIST (Edinburgh, 1975), p44; PO Directory 1884.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.