Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 25056 73107
- Coordinates325056, 673107
Father Richard Vaughan, 1860, with some later alterations. Broad pedimented 3-bay classical facade (cross finial at apex), set back from the street. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Base course; cornices between ground and upper levels and below pediment. Round-arched door and window openings with key- and impost-blocks. Entrance in advanced centre bay; 2-leaf timber storm door (glazed 2-leaf timber inner door) with fanlight above, flanked by Roman Doric columns; broken segmental pediment containing shield with gilded sunburst emblazoned IHS above ribbon inscribed 'AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM'; outer portions of bay channelled at ground level, and containing tall narrow round-headed windows in unmoulded openings (lower part blocked); large round-arched window above door flanked by coupled Doric pilasters. 2-leaf timber-panelled doors with fanlights above in outer bays; round-arched windows above; channelled pilaster strips to outer edges of bays at ground level, Doric pilasters above; recessed outermost portions of bays polished ashlar.
INTERIOR: glazed (small leaded panes with stained glass) screen with glazed double doors between vestibule and church; coloured panels above doors; arched entrance to small frescoed space off to left. Simple rectangular wagon-vaulted aisless nave, lined with Ionic pilasters (plaster swags in entablature) and lit by 4 domed lanterns. Gilt-framed painted roundels between alternate ribs in roof. 14 large paintings on canvas between pilasters in nave (see Notes). Apsidal chancel (by Archibald Macpherson, 1884) and flanking chapels (possibly by S Henbest Capper, 1895). Rear gallery with organ above glazed screen to rear.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: coursed stone coped boundary wall with spear-headed cast-iron railings; pyramidally-capped ashlar gatepiers; cast-iron gates.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building, in use as such, run by the Jesuit order. Designed as a temporary church, with the intention that it should later become the church hall, and on a tight budget (not to exceed ?5,000). Foundation stone laid 31st July (Feast of St Ignatius) 1859. Paintings in the nave, 'Stations of the Cross' by the Bavarian artist Peter Rauth, commissioned in 1870, currently being restored (1999). Marble pulpit by Henbest Capper, 1895.
INNES REVIEW PF Anson 'Catholic Church Building in Scotland' p135. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p256. Easton (ed) BY THE THREE GREAT ROADS (1988) p116. EVENING NEWS 14th December 1999.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.