P McGregor Chalmers, 1911-13. Later additions of hall and various rooms at rear. 2-stage, 7-bay near-rectangular plan Italian Romanesque church. Central nave-gable flanked by lean-to side-aisles forming gabled side-chapels at E; semi-circular 5-sided apse surmounted by semi-dome at E; rectangular-plan gabled hall adjoining at SE. Hammer-dressed coursed pink sandstone; polished ashlar dressings. Base course; vertical pilaster divisions at ground; narrow arched openings; dentiled cornice; stepped frieze at gable heads; cruciform finials.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps up to advanced entrance porch at left; 2-leaf timber panelled door; carved architrave, semi-circular tympanum and hoodmould supported by columns with carved capitals. 3 single windows to side aisle. Single storey re-entrant angle porch; timber door. 3 single windows to side-chapel. 7 sets of paired clerestory windows to nave.
E ELEVATION: 5 bay apse; moulded cill courses; blind tripartite arcade. Flanking chapels comprise centrally placed pair of windows. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer right.
W ELEVATION: 3 windows to nave; cill course. Single windows to flanking side aisles. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer left.
N ELEVATION: as for S elevation, except no entrance porches. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin.
CHURCH HALL AND SUBSIDIARY ROOMS: hall to rear of church completed 1930, Guild Room doubled in size 1932 by T Bowhill Gibson. Both in similar style and material to main church.
Heavy leaded windows; stained glass; skylights. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; skewputts.
INTERIOR: continuously arcaded, with a pair of clerestory windows over each arch, supported by a series of square piers and columns. Richly carved column capitals, each of four symbols expressing a theme - Christian Life/Christ/The Children of the Bible/Four Parables/The Word Prophesised and Preached/ Practical Religion/The Trinity/The Church. Domed ceiling of vestibule rests on four carved corbel stones symbolic of Praise - Viol, Harp, Organ and Pipe. 13 stained glass windows of heavy leadwork by Gordon Webster (3 by his father); porch windows by William Wilson 1947. Chancel floor of draughtboard pattern marble from Greece and Iona; timber pulpit and pews.
BOUNDARY WALLS, POSTBOX, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND STREET LIGHT: coped, rubble sandstone wall containing post box at S; square-plan gatepiers with pitched caps; cast iron gates, and railings; black scrolled iron lantern street-light to W of church.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.