This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 13908 68970
  • Coordinates313908, 668970


Dated 1700. Pair of ornate, rectangular-plan gatepiers. Banded checkerboard pattern of smooth and rusticated ashlar blocks. Channelled top courses, moulded cornices with squared capitals carved with stone heraldic crests clasped by swagged flanks. Buttressed returns to W faces.

Statement of Special Interest

The gates are from a very early date and a fine example of early 18th century estate architecture. The south pillar carries the Lauderdale shield with a lion rampart supported by eagles. The north pillar carries the arms of the fifth Earl's Countess, daughter of the Earl of Glencairn. To the rear of the pillar is a scroll with the Glencairn family motto 'over fork over'. To the rear of the south pillar is the Lauderdale Crest, a crowned lion sejant holding a sword and fleur-de-lys, with a scroll inscribed 'consilio et animis'.

These gates are not to be confused with South Gateway, Hatton Estate which is also listed, and sited further to the SW in Kirknewton Parish Parish.



PSAS 'Hatton House, Midlothian', Vol LXXIX, 1944-5, pp15-26 (p25).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at