Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1888-9 with additions, 1894-8, and Matthew M. Ochterlony, 1934; church hall, Alexander Lorne Campbell, 1925. Scots gothic church with 3-stage, square-plan tower to NE surmounted by 17th century style lead-covered belfry. Approximately cruciform plan with 7-bay nave, later (1934) transepts to N & S, advanced aisle to S, and corridor connecting to large Church Hall (parallel to Church at S of site). Rake-jointed variegated Hailes sandstone rubble with red Dumfriesshire sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course to tower only. Cusped, stone mullioned lights within chamfered openings to nave, tower, and elsewhere. Kneelered gables.
TOWER: timber-boarded door with decorative strap hinges in chamfered pointed-arch surround to S. Small rectangular lights at 2nd stage to E, S, and W elevations. Windows at 3rd stage to all elevations. Cornice with floral brackets and gargoyles at corners below roll-moulded ashlar parapet. Lead covered belfry with lucarned concave-arched roof, crocketted at corners; polygonal lantern; weather-cock.
N ELEVATION: transept forming porch, 5th bay from left; 2-leaf pointed-arch timber boarded door with decorative strap hinges within chamfered, pointed double arch. Cruciform light to gable apex above.
E ELEVATION (INCLUDING CORRIDOR AND CHURCH HALL): 5 staggered sections (not including tower). Chancel to right with depressed arch tripartite traceried window; single window to right return. Recessed wing containing Lady Chapel flanking to left with tripartite window and window to left return. Recessed corridor to centre. Advanced piend-roofed section to outer left with 2 windows.
W ELEVATION: 4-light Tudor-arched hoodmoulded window with perpendicular tracery.
S ELEVATION: advanced transept to centre with trefoil window in triangular surround to gable and single windows to returns; windows flanking to left and right. Advanced section to outer right with hoodmoulded, pointed arch window; lean-to annex and shouldered polygonal stack to W return.
Small-pane leaded windows. Red tile roof with red ridge-tiles. Ashlar coped skews. Cast-iron down pipes with decorative hoppers and wall brackets.
INTERIOR: 7-bay nave (see Notes) with Ailsa Craig granite floor and king-post and arch-brace roof with stencilled decoration. Timber panelled to dado throughout. Large stained glass window to W wall of nave depicting King David I and other church builders, dedicated to Sir Oliver and Lady Riddell of Craiglockhart (1923). 2 bipartite stained glass windows in N wall dedicated to Rev Xabier Peel Massey and Lindsay Auldjo Jamieson. Later transepts through chamfered middle-pointed arches to N and S. Timber screen to lobby in N transept with 2-leaf timber panelled glazed door. Baptistry in S transept with small stained glass window; octagonal stone font carved with apostolic beasts, coats of arms and baptismal scenes. Carved dedication at the bottom: TO THE GLORY OF GOD GIVEN TO ST CUTHBERTS COLINTON BY LADY RIDDEL OF CRAIGLOCHART, 1909. Highly decorative timber perpendicular font cover with crocketted finials, carved tracery and gilt decoration, surmounted by nesting pelican. Chamfered, roll moulded 4-centred chancel arch to E of nave; carved oak chancel screen with gilt and painted decoration inscribed CHRISTUS SEMEL PRO PERRATIS NOSTRIS MORTUUS EST. Wagon-roofed ceiling to chancel with stencilled decoration. Carved oak pulpit with painted and gilt decoration. Painted carved and gilt organ case. Carved timber choir stalls with wrought-iron brackets. Painted triptych reredos with gilt filleted timber frame. 3-light stained glass window above altar; stained glass window to St Cuthbert in N wall of chancel. Depressed arch with decorative carved screen in S wall of chancel to Lady Chapel. Tripartite stained glass window in Lady Chapel depicting Our Lady and SS Cuthbert and George. 4-centred arch with carved and gilt screen to S Aisle. S Aisle joined to nave by two chamfered 4-centred arches. Pointed arch ribbed roof to S Aisle with stencilled decoration. All pews in nave between chancel and transepts with differently carved ends. Carved oak collection box. Eagle lectern. Pair of Arts and Crafts carved timber altar rails with kneeling angels. Carved timber credence table.
CHURCH HALL AND CORRIDOR: A Lorne Campbell, 1925. 2-bay corridor with timber boarded door to left and window to right. 5-bay, single storey hall in same stone as church. Chamfered bipartite leaded border-glazed lights with stone mullions. Advanced porch to outer right of N elevation; 2-leaf timber boarded door within chamfered middle-pointed arch; windows to returns. Large arched window to W elevation, divided in centre by buttress; tripartite to each side with stone mullions and cusped lights. Red tile roof; ashlar coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND LAMP POST: low ashlar-coped boundary wall. 2 pairs of coped ashlar gate piers with gothic detailing. Victorian gothic street lamp to N of church.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.