This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24773 71721
  • Coordinates324773, 671721


Circa 1860. Large 2-storey irregular-plan Italianate villa with 4-stage engaged entrance tower, Cream sandstone, stugged ashlar to S and E elevation, squared and snecked stugged rubble to rear and side. Base course; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters to gables; projecting bracketted cills to 1st floor windows; round-arched windows to tower. ENTRANCE TOWER: 4-stages; battered clasping buttresses at base; architraved doorway to E with bracketted cornice; 2-light window inserted in former doorway of same treatment to S. Single window with border glazing and round-arched astragals and consoled balustraded balcony above entrace door at 2nd stage to E, band course above. Small window to E and S at 3rd stage. Top stage with cill band course and impost course, tripartite windows with border glazing to each face; overhanging eaves and small wallhead stack to N.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay with entrance tower to outer left (see above); broad gabled bay to right with single window at ground floor with bracketted cill, single window at 1st floor above; small wallhead stack. Bay to left with 2 small round-arched windows at ground floor; 1st floor recessed with balustraded balcony and round-arched bipartite window with border glazing and round-arched astragals.

S (CHURCH HILL) ELEVATION: 3-bay with tower to outer right (see above); centre bay with full-height canted window swept to square in gablehead. Bay to right with raggle of former conservatory, single windows at ground (inserted in former door) and 1st floor. Bay to left with projecting tripartite window (added 1899) at ground floor; single window at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay; advanced gabled bay to right with single windows and wallhead stack. Secondary door with single window above to centre bay. Left bay blank. Single storey outhouse with piend roof to NW. W ELEVATION: recessed bay to left with single windows. Blank bay to right with wallhead stack to left corner.

Timber sash and case windows; mostly 12-pane, some plate glass glazing. Slate roof with metal flashings; 2 coped wallhead stacks (see above) with corniced square cans.

INTERIOR: subdivided; tiled vestibule, timber stair with turned balusters and fluted newel post; 17th century stlye plasterwork to underside of stair, 1st floor drawing room with ornate cornice with sculpted heads and floral plasterwork to corners of ceiling.

Tall rubble wall with semi-circular coping, square coped gatepiers to pedestrian gate.

Statement of Special Interest



First shown on 1861 Lancefield survey map. Dean of Guild 2/3/1899.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at