Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 26927 76263
- Coordinates326927, 676263
1682, incorporating vaults possibly of 16th century, heightened 1785, converted to flats and offices 1984. 4-storey 11-bay warehouse with enclosed courtyard to front. Cream sandstone, coursed rubble with some ashlar dressings. Relieving arches over most windows.
NW (front) elevation: gabled centre bay with apex stack (1785), carved inscribed panel above ground floor; larger rectangular opening at ground floor. Single windows. Former hoist doors (now with iron window guards) and hoist gable to 3rd bay. Hoist doors and gable (as above) to 9th bay, doorway at ground floor; architraved doorway at 1st floor with bracketted landing accessed by forestair with iron balusters, 2-leaf panelled door. 10th and 11th bay with doorways at ground floor (10th bricked-up), 1st floor windows heightened with transoms and joined to blocked 2nd floor windows.
SW (Giles Street) elevation: 3-bay gabled with moulded skews and apex stack. Tall transomed windows at 1st floor, centre window bipartite with bracketted cill and finialled pediment with carved date '1785'. 2 windows at 3rd floor, inscribed panel to centre. Corniced window with window guard to gablehead.
NE (St Anthony Street) elevation: gabled with apex stack. Broad, pedestrian doorway at ground floor. Broad windows to centre bay, bipartite, with window guard at 2nd and 3rd, partly blocked at 1st floor.
SE (rear) elevation: irregular single and bipartite windows; modern dormer and skylights to roof.
Mostly modern small-pane timber casement windows, some 12-pane sash and case windows. Modern pantiled roof; 3 apex stacks (see above).
Interior: vaulted cellar with central tunnel and 4 vaulted cellars off. Room at ground floor with coved, elaborate floral plaster ceiling and cornice, plaster cartouche with putti motif and swagged niche, in style of Thomas Clayton (mid 18th century). Large room at 1st floor (taking up 2 floors) with deep cornices and late 19th/turn of the century woodwork.
Boundary walls and gatepiers: tall rubble later 19th century wall with flat coping enclosing courtyard to front, 2 tall red sandstone ashlar gatepiers, pedimented ogival coping with ball finial.
Statement of Special Interest
Statutory address updated, 2015. Previously listed as '85 and 86 and 2 and 4 Giles Street with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers, also known as The Vaults'.
RCAHMS Inventory 'City of Edinburgh', pp256-7. Gifford et al, Edinburgh (1984), p473. The plasterwork in the coved room is in the style of Thomas Clayton, a Leith resident; it is probable that it is by him. He worked with the Adam family executing work of similar quality for them such as at Hopetoun House.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.