This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 08/03/1994


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 14539 72846
  • Coordinates314539, 672846


John Kinross, 1900-1902. U-plan single-storey Scottish 17th century style stable block with 2-storey gardener's house in SW angle (1st floor breaking eaves) and attics to remaining ranges, part basement on falling ground to N of W range and courtyard terraced; converted to residential. Rake-jointed and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings; 2-bays harled and later harled addition to E; roll-moulded reveals, stopped at cills. Eaves course.


S ELEVATION: Gardener's house: gabled bay to outer left intercepted to right by squat 2-storey stair tower; generous window at ground, gothic detail to blank panel in lop-sided gablehead. Tower polygonal at base with small window, corbelled to circular above with window in deep surround bearing moulded panel above, cornice and conical, lead-finialled roof. Door at centre close to re-entrant angle formed with tower; corniced with scroll- flanked and pedimented over-door panel. Window to outer right at ground and breaking eaves at 1st floor above in gabled dormerhead. Stable offices clasping house to right with stepped, advanced wall-plane to left of pend.

STABLE OFFICES: broad, low semi-circular pend entrance to left of centre with string course and chamfered reveals; stone-ribbed rubble barrel-vault. 4 bays to centre and right with generous windows and gabled dormers above. Flanking bay to right with blind oculus and smaller oculus on gablehead of return visible by recess of 2 outer bays to right with door and window and ventilation panel above. Later addition to outer right.

COURTYARD ELEVATION: pend at centre with blind oculus in lop-sided gablehead; buttress flanking to left; string course extending across pend and over blind round- arched recess to left, flanked by door and with 2 small square windows close under eaves above. 2 2-storey bays of house to right of pend with windows at ground and breaking eaves above.


W ELEVATION: carriage range; horizontal windows below blank ashlar panels in deeply moulded surrounds in bays to centre and left; gabled dormers above. Window to house at outer right of single storey bays flanked to right by advanced 2-storey bay, with window at ground and window breaking eaves above; angle rounded to left corbelled to square at ground floor.

N ELEVATION: gabled end elevation with basement on falling ground; round tower to left angle with window and door on return to courtyard (mirror of tower to E range); door and 2 small windows to basement store; 2 closely grouped windows in gablehead with blank shield panel above.

COURTYARD ELEVATION: door to house to outer left with small-pane glazed panel over lintel and small blocked window flanking. 4 square-headed, block-keystoned carriage bays to centre and right with 2-leaf doors; outer bay to right gabled. Round tower to right angle with 2-leaf door and conical roof, lead capping.


E ELEVATION: advanced gabled block to outer left adjoined to taller gabled return bay of S range and with later lower-pitched gabled office bay addition; advanced original block altered at ground; 2 gabled dormers above. 2 windows to left of range with stone gabled hayloft door (now glazed) above. Blank wall-plane to centre and right with ventilator panels below eaves.

N ELEVATION: lop-sided gabled return of range with window in gablehead bearing moulded pediment and with round tower to right angle detailed as mirror tower on E range.

COURTYARD ELEVATION: 5-bay; stable doors to outer left, centre and outer right with block keystones and 2-leaf doors with small-pane or 2-pane fanlights; windows in intermediate bays.

Multi-pane glazing in sash and case windows (smaller lower sash); modern windows to dormers. 6-pane windows to stable courtyard windows. Gablehead and ridge stacks with billet-moulded coping. Graded grey slates. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts. Cast- iron ventilators grilles.

COURTYARD TERRACE: cobbled courtyard and pend with squared rubble, stone gablet coped terrace wall and stair to N.

GARDEN WALL: rubble garden walls, ashlar coped, enclosing ground to W and adjoining gardener's house.

Statement of Special Interest

See Ingliston House. Built for Robert Montgomerie Stevenson. The stables are a diminutive version of those he designed at Altyre House, Moray, 1900: both were exhibited simultaneously at the Royal Scottish Academy. The Ingliston block succeeds in creating the appearance of having accrued over the years rather than being designed at a single period, like a burgh high street, an effect influenced by George Devey, Richard Norman Shaw and Philip Webb.



RSA Exhibition list. D C Mays, unpublished dissertation, St Andrews University, JOHN KINROSS, HIS LIFE AND WORKS (1988). J D G Davidson THE ROYAL HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL SHOW: A SHORT HISTORY 1784-1984 (1984), p40.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at