Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1971
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 11088 73536
- Coordinates311088, 673536
Robert Adam, 1789; pavilion additions, David Bryce, 1845. 3-storey and basement, 5-bay by 5-bay rectangular-plan double pile classical mansion with single storey and basement pavilions. Sandstone ashlar, droved basement, rusticated ground floor including pavilions. Band course above ground, 1st floor cill course with blind balustraded aprons to principal elevation and bowed bays to rear; eaves frieze, cornice and blocking course. Angle pilasters to principal elevation. Ashlar mullions. 2nd floor windows smaller. Ashlar balustrade and dies to principal elevations of pavilions.
S ELEVATION: broad, pedimented centre bay breaking forward framed by engaged, paired giant columns at 1st and 2nd floor; door at centre (2-leaf panelled doors) flanked by narrow windows, approached by flight of ashlar steps with decorative ashlar balustrade terminated by finely detailed drum pedestals bearing ashlar urns; tripartite window at 1st floor with pediment and cornice set in segmental-arched panel; tripartite at 2nd floor; Regular fenestration in 2 bays flanking each side. 2-bay pavilions composed of single link bay and broader, advanced pedimented outer bay with tripartite window.
N ELEVATION: advanced bay to centre with full-height 3-windowed bow, giant pilasters dividing above ground; blind window to 2nd floor centre. Regular fenestration to flanking bays. Pavilion to outer right pedimented and advance with tripartite window. Pavilion to outer left recessed and blank above basement.
E ELEVATION: pavilion advanced from and masking bays to left and centre with tripartite to basement and canted oriel to ground floor with French windows leading onto consoled balustraded ashlar balcony with fine dog-leg flight of steps to right. 2 blind windows to main block at ground to right; window to each bay at 1st floor (outer blinded) and 2nd floor (outer windows and window to right of centre blinded). Fire escape descending from 2nd floor window.
W ELEVATION: pavilion masking ground floor with advanced pedimented bay to right and 2 recessed bays to left; single window to pedimented bay; pedimented dormerheads to windows breaking eaves recessed to left. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floor of main block, all but windows of centre bay blinded.
12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows, 9-pane to basement and 2nd floor. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar stacks to piend and platform roof and linked with arch to E and W wallheads. Panelled stacks to pavilions, to W pediment and NE wallhead.
INTERIOR: double pile with longitudinal corridor to each floor; exceptionally fine decoration retained, including variety of fine classical chimneypieces in stone, marble, alabaster and wood, Louis Quinze to Bryce's L-plan Ballroom in pilastered and corniced panel. Doric screen passage to Entrance Hall with fine plasterwork; stone flagged floor. Coved ceiling to L-plan Ballroom with ornate plasterwork. Built-in bookcases to library. Panelled dadoes. Decorative bell pulls. Decorative cast-iron balustrade to principal stair with timber handrail.
FORECOURT AND TERRACE WALLS, AND GARDEN FURNITURE: balustraded die walls to forecourt with Florentine boars crowning corniced ashlar pedestals to E and W (1 copied from Uffizi, other copied by local mason, circa 1845). Horseshoe terrace/ha-ha earlier 18th century to S with rusticated, ball finialled piers flanking outer drive; panel carved with horseshoe and dated 1884. Ha-ha to N of house punctuated by fluted vases and classical urn. Pedestals with decorative urn finials by Hercules Garden. Stone statue of Hercules on ashlar pedestal with lion, sited at junction of paths (in form of Union Jack, possibly to commemorate battle of Dettingen) in Hercules Wood to E of house (NT 1124 7357).
Statement of Special Interest
The current house at Newliston was pre-dated by one illustrated on a survey plan of 1759 kept at the house, itself pre-dating the designed landscape. William Adam was paid ?150 in 1723 for work on the estate, probably the building of the stables, and he may have been involved with the fortified landscape (see listing for Bastion and Retaining Walls). The French style landscape was originated by Field Marshal the 2nd Earl of Stair who inherited Newliston from his mother, Elizabeth Dundas, and resided there intermittently until his death in 1747. In 1753 the estate was sold to Roger Hog (London merchant from Berwickshire family), in whose family it remains. The mansion designed by William Adam (unexecuted, see VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS) included a grand portico. Timber copies of the Stirling Heads are kept at the house. Terminal views were planned to Niddry Castle to NW and to Craigiehall. A group with Bastion and Retaining walls, Coach House, and Stables, Lawn Park Cottage and South Lodge and Dovecot, Walled Garden and Sundial.
J Small CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS (1883). Soane Museum Drawings Collection. A Bolton ARCHITECTURE OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM pp278-286 (plans ill). C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) pp355-7. INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES vol 5, pp174-179. COUNTRY LIFE 12 August 1982. VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS plates 32 and 36. GARDEN HISTORY
no 7. Survey plan, 1759, at Newliston.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.