Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Last Date Amended: 17/07/2015
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 26096 73268
- Coordinates326096, 673268
W H Playfair, 1829-32, with later additions by A F Balfour Paul, 1908-9. Important and imposing 2-storey, T-plan Greek Revival purpose-built Surgeon's Hall with dominant fluted Ionic hexastyle portico to W (principal) elevation with columns resting on tall screen wall. Chamfered sandstone ashlar to portico, coursed rubble to rear with ashlar dressings. Chamfered base course, band course, cornice. Venetian window to N.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principle (W) elevation with central pedimented portico with honeysuckle and palmette frieze. Carved foliage decoration in tympanum. Very tall timber panelled and metal studded entrance door with consoled pediment above.
N and S elevations with off-centre, slightly advanced 2-storey, 3-bay sections with Doric loggias to ground. Advanced pedimented single bays to W with paired Doric pilasters to outer corners.
2-storey linking corridor at SE corner to Nos 6 and 7 Hill Square with glass and timber swing entrance doors.
SCREEN WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS: to W. Tall, channelled and coped ashlar screen wall, incorporating flanking pedimented gateways with scrolled buttresses. Base course. Decorative cast-iron gates. Low coped wall to W surmounted with decorative cast-iron railings and incorporating 4 cast-iron lamp standards. Mixture of glazing; predominantly 12 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows with some fixed stained-glass windows. INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Excellent decorative scheme with some original Playfair features. Timber and glass revolving doors lead to double-height coffered, domed entrance hall. Sweeping D-shaped staircase with stained-glass stair window. Major rooms have timber panelling and classical fire surrounds. 6-panel timber doors, many with deep cornices. Decorative cornicing. Lecture hall with ornately decorated plaster coved ceiling and cornicing. Elaborate carved plaster doorheads. 7-bay nave and aisle plan galleried museum hall with Doric pilastered piers and glass-coffered ceiling.
Statement of Special Interest
Surgeon s Hall is an exceptional building designed by William Playfair, one of the country s most eminent architects and a leading exponent of the Greek Revival style. It is particularly distinguished by its large-scale portico on the street elevation and it contains an impressive interior decorative scheme. Designed in the Greek Revival style, the massive scale of the Ionic portico presents a monumental frontage to the street. This monumentality is enhanced by the construction of the large building into a relatively small site.
W H Playfair (1789-1857) was an renowned and eminent architect and a leading figure in Edinburgh s Enlightenment. He was responsible for many of the buildings in 19th century Edinburgh including the National Gallery (1848), The Royal Scottish Academy (1822-6) and Royal Circus (see separate listings). An expert exponent of the Greek Revival style, his buildings helped to create Edinburgh s Enlightenment character. This building is considered to be one of the best examples of his work.
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh has been in continuous existence since 1505 when, as The Barber Surgeons Of Edinburgh, it was incorporated as a Craft Guild of the City of Edinburgh. Their first meeting place was in Dickson s Close in 1647, but as the Incorporation expanded, they required a building with an anatomical theatre and in 1697, they moved into Old Surgeon s Hall (see separate listing) in High School Yards. By the beginning of the 19th century, they had outgrown this space and they purchased the Riding School on Nicolson Street on which site the current building is positioned.
The building was altered and adapted in 1908-9 by the architect Balfour Paul, who added a further extension for the museum by extending into part of nos 6 and 7 Hill Square (see separate listing).
A F Balfour Paul (1875-1938) was an Edinburgh based architect who practised primarily in Edinburgh. His work includes both private houses and public buildings.
List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.
Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as 'Nicolson Street, Surgeon's Hall including screen wall, gates, railing and lamp standards'.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 52407
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1849-53.
Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, 1966, p279.
John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p244.
Leaflet from the Royal College of Surgeons. www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 23-04-07).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.