Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/07/1966
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 26366 75789
- Coordinates326366, 675789
1638; restored Michael Laird & Partners, 1984-5. 3-storey and attic L-plan tower house, stairtower with corbelled caphouse; later alterations to SE front. Rubble with polished cream sandstone dressings, harled. Chamfered reveals; crowstepped gables; 2nd floor windows breaking eaves in finialled gableheads.
SE ELEVATION: 3-bay. Centre bay with circa 1700 curvilinear gable and apex stack; early 19th century columned doorway at 1st floor accessed by stone stairs with carved steps, panelled door and fanlight with astragals of 4 trefoiled arches; single windows flanking stairs at ground floor; 2 single windows at 2nd floor bull?s-eye window to gablehead. Single windows to outer bays. Modern, square, wall-mounted sundial to outer left at 2nd floor over carved armorial stone with angel heads.
NW ELEVATION: advanced gabled wing to right with apex stack and single windows to left. Return elevation and left wing with single windows. Stair tower with rounded corner set in re-entrant angle with doorway at ground floor and rectangular caphouse, corbelled to square at 2nd floor.
NE ELEVATION: 2-bay; gabled with apex stack and single windows.
SW ELEVATION: 5-bay; 2 gabled bays to right with apex stack and single windows. Irregular windows to left bays.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with stone ridge;
5 coped ashlar apex stacks (see above).
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
TERRACE WALL: ashlar balustrade with coped dies at intervals to NW.
Statement of Special Interest
Originally built for Gilbert Kirkwood, subsequently owned by Balfours of Pilrig. Burned out circa 1970 with all the interior destroyed; comprehensively restored 1984-5.
Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p646. RCAHMS Inventory No 169.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.