Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 27148 76689
- Coordinates327148, 676689
Robert Mylne, 1685-6, remodelled probably early 19th century; surrounding public house added 1882. Crenellated (1820s ornamentation), circular tower of 5 off-set stages built as windmill with single storey flat-roofed public house at ground. Cream sandstone, coursed rubble with polished and droved ashlar dressings, pub front painted. String courses at 1st, 2nd and above 3rd floor; blind quatrefoils to 4th floor; corbelled and crenellated parapet.
W (SHORE) ELEVATION: pub front with deep-set basket-arched stop-chamfered openings with fielded aprons, channelled jambs and continuous cornice; doorway flanked by single opening to right,
2 openings to left. Opening to chamfered corner to outer left. Single window per stage in alignment in tower above; small single windows flanking to right at 1st and 2nd floor.
S ELEVATION: abutted by later 4-storey tenement (Nos 3 and 4 Shore, listed separately).
NE (TOWER STREET) ELEVATION: doorway at ground floor with 2 openings flanking to right, single opening to left. Single window per stage in alignment in tower above.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: single window at 4th floor. Foundry building abutting below (listed separately).
18- and 24-pane timber sash and case windows to tower; replacement windows to pub front.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Statement of Special Interest
A group with No 3 Shore and Nos 4 Shore and 6 Tower Street. Built as a rope mill.
Dean of Guild 10/5/1882. ?The old Signal Tower? in LEITH PILOT ANNUAL, 1890 Clerk of Eldin LEITH HARBOUR mid 18th century painting.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.