Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 27091 76423
- Coordinates327091, 676423
Probably early 17th century; remodelled 18th century; restored Neil & Hurd, 1937-9, and Robert Hurd & Partners, 1959-61. 3-storey and garret asymmetrical rectangular-plan merchant's house with modern lift tower to rear and single storey addition (1959-61) to front. Harled rubble with exposed dressings. Rounded or chamfered arrises to original windows; crowstepped gables.
SW (BURGESS STREET) ELEVATION: 3 asymmetrically gabled bays with apex stacks; centre bay with slightly projecting stairtower corbelled above ground and 1st floor flanked by single windows, doorway at ground floor, corbelled angle window above to left, asymmetrically placed windows to stairtower, corbelled garret stair in re-entrant angle to right above 3rd floor, recessed lean-to gablet to left. Bay to right with nepus gable, larger opening at ground floor and paired windows off-centre to right at 1st and 2nd floor. Bay to left with half-gable to left, modern addition at ground floor, paired windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor (loading door to left).
SE (WATER STREET) ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack; single windows off-centre to right; corbelled angle window at 2nd floor to right.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: large projecting lift tower off-centre to right; asymmetrically placed windows to remaining bays; attic windows breaking eaves.
NW ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack, single window at 3rd floor.
Modern windows of fixed leaded upper panes and wooden shutters, some small-pane sash and case windows. Modern red interlocking roof tiles. 4 apex stacks (see above). Corbelled skewputts.
INTERIOR: stone turnpike stair to SW stairtower with 2 slop-sinks in ogival recesses. Large fireplaces with stone surrounds at 1st and 2nd floor; at 2nd floor fireplaces with bolection-moulded stone surrounds.
Statement of Special Interest
Previously known as 23 Water's Close and converted 1960 for use as a day centre for the elderly. Lamb's House was bought by the Marquess of Bute in the 1930s who commissioned the restoration. Apparently, Mary Queen of Scots, on landing in Leith in 1561, stayed for an hour at "Andw Lamb's hous": the current building appears to be a later fabric on this site, known as Lamb's House by legend.
RCAHMS INVENTORY, pp257-9. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p472.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.