Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 31773 72432
- Coordinates331773, 672432
1639, originally L-plan. Extended 1672-4 by Sir William Bruce to form U-plan with open court to W. Alterations and addition of single-storey S range by William Adam after 1733, subsequently altered in 19th century. U-plan, 3-storey and attic, court open to W with octagonal stair turrets in re-entrant angles and square angle pavilions at NE and SE angles, former pyramid roofed, the latter ogee-domed (S wing entered from SE pavi lion). Rubble-built, originally harled. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: subdivided in 19th century, but retains much of William Adam's 18th century decorative scheme: including lugged and basket-arched chimneypieces, stucco ceilings and trophied overmantles by Thomas Clayton. Landscape painted sopra porte panels by James Norie in parlour (interior details see REFERENCES).
S WING: early 18th century office range, altered and extended late 18th century; single storey, rubble-built, modern corrugated asbestos roof. 2 bays of early 18th century work by William Adam (sebsequently heightened) contain 18th century DAIRY with deep-coved stucco ceiling by Thomas Clayotn, 1742 and chequered tiled floor.
Statement of Special Interest
Formerly known as Gilberton. Built for John 2nd Earl of Lauderdale. Bought 1736 by Archibald Duke of Argyll who is believed to have been responsible for the 18th century alterations.
Inv 158 (Midlothian);
MacRae Her 32;
C & D Arch IV p.176;
King's Master Masons (Mylne);
BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, EDINBURGH, Gifford pp557-559;
WILLIAM ADAM 1689-1748, Gifford, p156;
SRO Plan RHP/14979, survey plan of the estate of Brunstane, 1764, John Lesslie.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.