This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 28047 74598
  • Coordinates328047, 674598


Mid 18th century with internal alterations, Reginald Fairlie & Partners, 1958-59. 2 storeys, basement, cellar and attic. 5-bay classical villa. Squared and coursed sandstone, rubble to sides and rear. Eaves cornice on brackets. Large asymmetrically placed dormer.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Basement entrance door with plain 3-light panel above, dressed stone surround. Windows 12-pane sash with dressed, architraved surrounds. Bowed stair with slender cast-iron balustrade to central architraved doorpiece on piano nobile, with traceried fanlight. Door and windows corniced. 2nd floor windows as basement. Quoined ends.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Basement with single small sash window to centre. 1st floor with window to centre, large window to left, blocked window to right. 2nd floor with blind window to centre, larger windows to left and right. All with dressed, raised margin. Large coursed stone wallhead stack with cornice to centre above eaves.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Steps down to central cellar entrance door, plain with rectangular light. Blind opening to right. Windows to basement, 1st and 2nd floor, those at 1st floor taller. Shallow, decorative cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Additional window between centre and left bays at 1st floor. Port hole opening to right of centre bay at ground floor.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Narrow centre door, 4-pane light above, ashlar surround. 1st floor with windows to centre and left, blind to right, 2nd floor all blind. Chimney stack to match W.

Piended roof, grey slates with prominent bowed dormer offset to left.

INTERIOR: fine classical decorative scheme including following; rich plaster decorations to entrance hall, fluted Corinthian columns in corners, entablature with architrave, frieze with pateras, cornice with varied decoration. Vaulted ceiling with rib, bead and lattice mouldings. Ceiling above 1958 staircase with shallow dome with key-pattern base on pendentives and lunettes, with cornice. Varied patterns to plasterwork. Single room 2nd floor opening on NW and S fronts. Doorcase with Corinthian pilasters and entablature; richly decorated cornice around room with coving above; classical timber chimneypiece.

BOUNDARY WALL: rubble stone to NE & W, with wrought-iron gates to N. Later outbuildings to SE.

Statement of Special Interest

Roman Catholic Church of SS Ninian and Triduana within grounds to W. House owned by Archdiocese since 1928. Marionville built for the Misses Ramsay (milliners), named after a niece.



Gifford, McWilliam, Walker, Wilson, Buildings of Scotland, EDINBURGH, p661.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at