Circa 1735. 3-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan classical main block. Harled with painted margins and strip quoins. Segmental pediment to doorway; raised triangular pediment breaking eaves above Venetian window to centre of front elevation; urns to apex and, on pedestals with flanking volutes, to sides; skews.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled timber door with multi-paned fanlight to centre at ground; single window to floor above; Venetian window to 2nd floor above, with keystoned, round-arched central light and boarded flanking lights; windows to all flanking bays, all floors, tallest windows at ground, shortest at 2nd floor.
12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate roof; coped gablehead stacks with moulded cylindrical cans.
WING AT NE:
Circa 1780. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical wing at NE. Snecked and coursed sandstone rubble to front elevation; harling to sides. Stone margins, cill course to 1st floor, strip quoins; cornice and blocking course.
Round-arched windows with infilled heads to bays at ground (central window entirely blocked); large window to each bay at 1st floor; blocked Venetian window at 1st floor, NE side elevation.
12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate piended roof with lead flashing.
INTERIOR: sensitively renovated, with retention of original fireplaces including pedimented overmantels. Other original features remain, notably cornices and doorframes throughout, as well as individual features such as panelled cupboard in front ground floor room at SW. 2-storey glazed corridor to rear at SW links to modern nursing-home buildings which form square courtyard by re-joining NE wing from rear.
Statement of Special Interest
The Murrayfield Estate was originally called Nisbet Park but after its purchase by Archibald Murray, in 1734, it was renamed Murrayfield. Murrayfield House was built by the new owner and it is probable that his architect was John Douglas; the house has motifs that were characteristic of Douglas' oeuvre, including an emphatic Serlian window and oversized urns. In 1773, Alexander Murray (later Lord Henderland) inherited the estate from his father and proceeded to make alterations, which included the addition of the east wing. It is likely that he had also intended to build a symmetrical wing to the west, but this never materialised. Campbell Avenue, to the W of Murrayfield House, is on the site of an original tree avenue that belonged to the Murrayfield estate; Campbell Avenue is lined with trees to the site and these may have been part of the original avenue. Similarly, Succoth Avenue, to the N, is also on the site of an older avenue. Unfortunately, an avenue of trees no longer survives there.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.