Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 20047 72516
- Coordinates320047, 672516
Late 16th century. 3-stage, circular plan, beehive dovecot. Sandstone rubble; coarse sandstone dressings. Dividing band (rat) courses; projecting stone eaves.
S ELEVATION: 3-tier flight holes in arch above 2nd stage dividing band course.
N ELEVATION: low entrance doorway; iron grille door; stone lintel; long and short surrounds.
Shallow conical stone slabbed roof.
INTERIOR: stone nesting boxes; potence stone, with socket for pole at centre of stone slabbed floor.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped, coursed rubble boundary walls; circular plan coped dome gatepiers to left; iron gates; pedestrian entrance to right; single iron gate.
Statement of Special Interest
Edinburgh Tapestry Studio lies to the rear of the dovecot (see separate list description). The dovecot is the only remaining structure from the Corstorphine Castle estate, home of the Forresters of Corstorphine. The dovecot contains 1060 nesting boxes and its walls are 3 feet 10 inches thick.
U Selway A MID LOTHIAN VILLAGE (1890), p8; A Niven Robertson "Old Dovecots in and around Edinburgh" in BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB, Vol XXV (1945), p178; E MacRae HERITAGE OF GREATER EDINBURGH (1947), p36; THE BUILDER, 20/06/1952, p911; M Cant VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH Vol I (1986), p5; T Buxbaum SCOTTISH DOOCOTS (1987) p31; W Dey A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF A MIDLOTHIAN VILLAGE (1990), p16; AS Cowper HISTORIC CORSTORPHINE AND ROUNDABOUT Vol 3 (1991) p5; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991), p528; C McKean EDINBURGH (1992), p172.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.