Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/07/1966
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 27323 70604
- Coordinates327323, 670604
Early 17th century 2-chambered symmetrical rectangular-plan lectern dovecot. Pink sandstone rubble. Droved string (rat) course; moulded eaves course; long and short quoins; crowsteps to end and dividing walls.
SE ELEVATION: 2 identical boarded doors with 3 strap hinges, entering centre of each chamber; stone lintels; recessed rectangular panel to centre above string course; 5 flight holes at eaves above doorways;
16 flight holes to each chamber set in mid-roof band; coped rear wall.
Pantiled roof; beak skewputts.
INTERIOR: remains of hinges and slots to inner face of doorway. Concrete floor, timber roof. 2072 stone nesting boxes, approximately 4.5 inches wide, extend from floor to ceiling to all sides of both chambers.
Statement of Special Interest
Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 2309. The largest remaining doocot in Edinburgh, formerly part of the Inch House estate. The remains of inner doors to both chambers suggest an unusally high degree of security.
RCAHMS MIDLOTHIAN INVENTORY (1928), pp134-135. A N Robertson "Dovecots in and around Edinburgh" in THE BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB, vol 25 (1945) p185; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988), p492.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.