This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/06/1965


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 23772 73694
  • Coordinates323772, 673694


Dated 1807, converted to hotel accommodation 2009 by the Burrell Company Ltd. 3-storey and attic, 7-bay shallow rectangular-plan former granary, set on ground next to the Water of Leith. Slightly advanced wide bay to centre with triangular pediment and decorative carved roundel panel. Coursed random rubble with some droved ashlar quoins, cills lintels and rybats. 4 piended roofed rectangular timber dormers to attic with slate hung cheeks.

Predominantly small pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof; grey slates, sandstone skews. Coped gablehead stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Bell's Granary is well proportioned with plain classical detailing. The granary is prominently sited on the Water of Leith, and forms a landmark from the Water of Leith Walkway. Bell's Granary is the only remaining building which formed part of the former Bell's Mills. The other buildings were destroyed by an explosion on the site in 1975. The mill occupied a site on the Water of Leith near the Dean Village and in an area occupied by mills since the 1573. The granary is one of few surviving examples in the Dean area of its former industrial heritage, particularly based on grain milling, many of which utilised power provided by the Water of Leith. The mills were originally owned by the City of Edinburgh before being sold to the Baxter's Incorporation in 1734-5. The Incorporation rebuilt a number of the mills in the area, including Bell's Mills in 1807. Their symbol of a wheatsheaf is included, along with the date, in a carved roundel panel to the N elevation.

The granary was converted to hotel accommodation in 2009.

List description revised as part of resurvey (2009).



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53); D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 395

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at