This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24553 73724
  • Coordinates324553, 673724


J Gillespie Graham, designed 1823; executed by Robert Hutchinson. 4-storey, 10-bay classical tenement and shops on prominent corner; curved and recessed single bay to corner; basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls to Alva Street. Sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground floor, droved at basement. Banded cill course at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Corniced eaves course. Architraved and corniced openings to 1st and 2nd floors. Advanced timber and plate glass shop front to No. 14 Queensferry Street set over basement, in channelled ashlar to Alva Street. Round arched doorway surrounds to Alva Street, some with radial glazing, some blind windows. Cast-iron bowed anthemion balconies at 1st floor.

REAR ELEVATION: regular squared coursed rubble with tooled ashlar rybats and lintels to openings. Regular fenestration. Various later additions to attic. Some boundary walls retained with mews buildings to Queensferry Street lane. Various later alterations to convert to car parking, various later steel garage doors inserted.

Plate glass in timber frames to ground floor shop fronts. 12-and 15-pane in timber sash and case windows above. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks; modern clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Well-detailed tenement design by James Gillespie Graham. This end block turns the corner into Queensferry Street and is prominently situated at the edge of the former Walker Estate. The plain but well-executed finish and the inclusion of a 4th storey allows the tenement to assert itself over the surrounding streetscape, which is predominantly 2-and 3-storey. The anthemion balconies are a particularly good survival and echo the simple neo Greek interiors which originally featured.

James Gillespie Graham was best known for designing country houses and churches in the Gothic style, and his work was predominantly on Gothic churches and castellated country houses. He produced relatively little classical work, but in addition to Gray's House in Elgin (see separate listing) his most notable work was the Moray Estate. The monumental style of the architecture, in which he was influenced by Adam's Charlotte Square (see separate listing) can also be seen in Alva Street which takes the form of end pavilions flanking a central run of terraced townhouses.

(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, including all the latest and intended improvements (1823); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 369; Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 -1840, (1995).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at