Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24323 73397
- Coordinates324323, 673397
Thomas Bonnar, 1824-1831. 3-storey over basement with 4-storey over basement 31-bay, palace block tenement with 7-bay curved terminal pavilion to SW end, joining 4-bay group, (number 1 Torphichen Street) to S. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone ashlar with polished dressings above, (painted at ground floor to various numbers). Band course between basement and ground floors, and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; string course above 2nd floor windows; cornice at 2nd floor, with blocking course to central section; cornice and blocking course to 3rd floor terminal pavilions and to Torphichen Street elevation. Architraves to openings at ground and 1st floors (except corner pavilion at ground floor); panelled aprons to ground floor windows; bays to corner block divided at 1st and 2nd floors by giant anta pilasters. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 9-bay pavilion to NE with 3-bay return to left on Atholl Crescent Lane; symmetrical 18-bay central section; consoled cornices to doorways to ground floor, with recessed, panelled timber doors surmounted by fanlights; regular 2-1-1-2 fenestration pattern to ground floor; windows to each bay 1st and 2nd floors and to 3rd floor terminal pavilion; mansard roof with 2-pane dormers set back from wallhead to central pavilion. 4-bay corner pavilion to SW, advanced bay to outer right, framed by anta pilasters to upper floors; consoled cornice to doorway to ground floor of penultimate bay to right, regular fenestration to remaining bays to ground and upper floors.
SW (CORNER) ELEVATION: recessed timber door to principal floor, flanked on left by glass panel at No 11; windows to flanking bays; 4-panelled timber door with fanlight to principal floor at No 12, framed by corniced pilastered doorpiece surmounted by decorative iron balustrade; panelled timber door with fanlight to principal floor at No 13; windows to flanking bays; regular fenestration to all bays of upper floors.
S (TORPHICHEN STREET) ELEVATION: advanced bay at left adjoining corner with Atholl Place, framed by giant anta pilasters to upper floors; consoled cornice to doorway to principal floor of penultimate bay to left, recessed panelled timber door with fanlight; regular fenestration to all floors above.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
2, 4, 12 and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows, modern single pane windows to ground floor of corner pavilion. Grey slate roof. Coped and chamfered polished sandstone ashlar stacks with moulded cylindrical cans to NW elevation, coped rendered stacks with circular cans to corner pavilion and Torphichen Street. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Iron railings to street and bordering platts to doorways, majority with fleur-de-lys heads.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.
PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 and 1877 OS MAPS; J Grant, CASSELL'S OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH, Vol 2, p209; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p370.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.