Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24154 73922
- Coordinates324154, 673922
Dated 1675; later alterations, including chapel by R S Lorimer, 1900; converted to flats 1976, F R Stevenson. Roughly 12-bay, 4-storey, rectangular-plan former granary with crowstepped gables, two advanced crowstepped stair towers to S; on ground falling to W. Painted harl; raised chamfered margins. Moulded corniced and keystoned doorways in re-entrant angle to stair towers, dated keystone to E, 1675. Roll moulded blind doorway to W stair tower with carved relief panel over of cherubs heads scales and cakes; entablature inscribed GOD BLESS THE BAXTERS OF EDINBURGH UHO BULT THIS HOUS 1675. Roughly regular fenestration with some blind windows at 2nd floor; round arched ashlar bellcote (1900) to W.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows, some lattice windows over timber shutters to stair towers from 1976. Pitched roof; grey slates. Coped rendered gable end stacks with modern clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
Statement of Special Interest
A fine early granary with original design retained faithfully to the exterior. The building was built for the Baxter's Incorporation of Edinburgh in 1675. The Dean village contained a range of small scale industries at this time powered by the fast flowing water of Leith and providing goods to the City of Edinburgh. In addition to the granary there was also Bell's Mills (see separate listing) and a tannery. The granary was a large building for its time and can be seen in Slezers print dominating the other buildings in the village, indicating the wealth of the incorporation of Baxters in the 17th century. The building was altered in 1900 by Robert Lorimer to become the Cathedral Mission for St. Mary's Episcopal Cathedral. These alterations included the insertion of a chapel (with an altarpiece by Phoebe Anna Traquair) and a bellcote. Parts of a decorative ceiling still survive on the 1st floor, although there has been some later alteration. The other internal work was removed before the buildings were converted into flats in 1976, it was at this point that crowsteps were restored to the stair turrets.
(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)
John Slezer, The Prospect of Edinburgh from Ye Dean (1710) evident; Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 394; http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 6/6/08).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.